Chapter Thirty-Eight | To Shake Off The Past

"Do you think it was the wrong kind of caterpillar?"

"Is there even a difference? Theron's birds ate them and were fine."

"Then was it because Queen was a different species of bird?"

Navier murmured, seemingly distracted from the breakfast before us as I considered what she said. Apparently, Navier tried to feed caterpillars to Queen last night and unexpectedly ended up scaring the bird away. Was it because it was a magic bird? But I'm sure those birds from Tower also eat the same as normal birds despite being preciously raised purebred magic birds.

"Why don't you ask more specifically to Prince Heinley?"

I suggested, carefully cutting the sausage in my plate while picking out annoying carrots to the side at the same time. Still absent-minded, Navier nodded while chewing some vegetables that I noticed to be from the salad with a type of cream which's not her favorite. She was very distracted, for sure.

She must have worried about Queen all night long and slept uneasily. Quite understandable since it was him that eased the hurt caused by Sovieshu. I know Navier was heartbroken by the distrust in Sovieshu’s eyes, but as soon as she remembered Queen, the image of Sovieshu was pushed away.

On the sidenote, I'm very sleepy to the point of feeling headache myself. Past few days have been a bit too hectic and last night have been very eventful long night. If not for the fact that it was Navier who sent a lady-in-waiting of hers to ask me if I want to have breakfast together, I certainly would have sleep myself to the noon, or most, to next morning.

Ah.. if I put it that way, it sounds like Ergi wasn't wrong at all in saying that I literally worshipped the way Navier walked. I still remember how I followed around Navier like a lost duckling when I was still very young and couldn’t resist chuckling which made Navier tilted her head in interest.

"What do you found amusing?"

"Nothing important. It's just that I'm reminded of my young self following you around because of funny thing that someone said."

"Ah...."

Navier also seemed to recalled the same image as she smiled fondly and said.

"Those indeed were lovely moments, weren’t they? You're very adorable back then, tottering behind me. Extremely cute."

"Of course, it was cute, but there’s nothing cuter than the actual person."

"You're too petty. Lucky that you've enough cuteness to back up that~"

Suddenly reminded of a certain casanova because of the word 'cute' that very rarely used to refer me, I immediately pouted with a frowned and rebutted.

"I am not cute."

Navier literally bursted into giggles.

As soon as we finished our breakfast, accepting my suggestion, Navier left to see Prince Heinley while I decided going back to my palace. She wouldn’t visit his room, for sure. But she would likely walk around Southern wing in chance of run into him.

'I need to ask if Queen returned safely.’

Navier decided. However, as soon as we left the Western Wing, we discovered Prince Heinley leaning against a pillar and staring at the building.

"Prince Heinley."

He turned to Navier once she called, omitting the greeting bow and immediately speaking.

"I answered wrongly yesterday. Queen doesn't eat raw food."

"Well, then I can give him cooked larvae—"