Chapter Twenty-Five | Coincidence?

Because of my chronic inability to say no to Navier's persuasion, I eventually agreed to stay in the palace until the end of special ball and continued attenting the third day of banquet.

Usually, banquet attendance dropped by the third day of the New Year's celebrations. It didn’t have the priority of neither the first nor the last day, and everyone wanted to enjoy themselves in the city or socialize with the people they had befriended. That had been the pattern for three years. Until now.

"There are many people here today, Your Majesty."

Countess Eliza clicked her tongue beside Navier.

"I suppose it's because of the rumors about the prince and the maid."

Navier spoke in a disinterested manner. She still hadn’t decided out how she should react to this. It was both awkward and amusing to think about.

Rashta, who was surrounded by other nobles, was the one that looked more concerned, however, and kept glancing at Duchess Tuania once in a while.

'Do they know each other?'

There was the sound of the door opening. I looked up, expecting Sovieshu to enter, but it was Prince Heinley instead. On his arm was Cherily, Rashta's maid.

"My god. He actually brought her here."

Countess Eliza spoke in a whispered awe, then tutted once again. Cherily looked much brighter in a beautiful gown compared to her servant uniform.

"That dress looks very expensive."

"Prince Heinley bought it for her, didn't he?"

"They look good together somehow. I'm sure it's because they had been searching for someone they were in love with."

The room started to buzz with gossip. At that moment, Prince Heinley looked straight towards Navier who nodded in greeting towards him, but he made a strange expression, then frowned and shook his head.

'What does that mean? Do they already have come clear?'

I wondered at that unusual exchange, but before I could think about it more, Prince Heinley walked away with Cherily in tow. Sovieshu entered the room soon after, and looked round then headed towards Rashta without even glancing toward Navier.

"…"

Navier turned away, nonchalantly continued her conservation with Duchess Tuania. I picked up a glass from a passing servant. I didn't check what drink it was, until my taste buds informed me it was strawberry juice. It was very sweet, a contrast to my current mood.

Then, the music started to play. Ergi is absent, I was in no mood for dancing with other boring men, so I refused all the invitations, settled myself on a couch by the wall and talked to Circe.

Navier do the same with other guests except she got not a single invitation for dance for the lack for another bold man like Prince Heinley who dared to ask the Empress for a dance and succeed.

However, some time after, a commotion in the middle of the room interrupted my conversation.

I looked up and saw everyone’s eyes were turned towards Prince Heinley, who looked heartbroken, and Rashta’s maid, whose face was blotched red with tears.

The sweet atmosphere from only a few hours ago had completely dissipated. One was terrified, while the other looked like he was suppressing his anger.

What was happening? I couldn’t hear well from here, and I stood up and made my way towards the crowd, following Navier.