8. Act Normal

Nate

How much heartache can one person take? I feel for Cass in so many ways that it hurts sometimes. The fact of the matter is that it doesn't help that I have fallen for my best friend. I mean who could blame me, she's beautiful, smart and the bravest, strongest person I know. So, it was tearing me apart as she broke down. I have never seen her so lost. She always puts on a brave face for everyone. I didn't even think twice when I pulled her into my lap and just held her tight.

Just act normal

Easier said than done. My heart was beating so fast, it felt like it was going to burst out of my chest. So, I had to make a joke when she tripped, and I caught her. I needed to get these thoughts out of my head. "Now I'm not sure, I want to show you." She smirks at me, and I just stare at her. I swear I get lost starring at her beautiful face. I feel her hand caress my face and I close my eyes. I love it when she does this. It's one of the sexiest things to me, even though it's so innocent.

"What's wrong Nate?"

I clear my throat and step back. "Nothing, let's get this done. I have somewhere I want to take you after this."

"Oh, okay." We walk into her room, and I stare at the collage of pictures she has. "You look so adorable with braces." I try to tease but it backfires when I see her cheeks redden.

Shit!

"Ugh! I did not. They were a pain to have."

"I still say adorable." I pinch her cheeks. I laugh as she tries to swat my hand away. "There shouldn't be much left in here to take." She runs her hand along her bookshelf and sighs. "I guess these can be donated. I have no use for them anymore." I hate the sad look on her face, so I take a picture of her books to see if I can get them in braille for her.

"What did I miss?"

I almost jump out of my skin when Lily chimes in.

"Damnit Lil. You scared the bejeezus out of me. Excuse me." She makes her way to the bathroom feeling everything around her. I want to help guide her, but I know she likes doing things on her own.

"Okay lover boy, spill."

I almost choke from what she said.

"What?"

"Oh, don't what me. I see how you look at our girl."

"I don't know what you're talking about. Cassie is my best friend."

"Okay, if you want to act like that fine."

I pinch the bridge of my nose and take a deep breath.

"Look, Cass is a sweet girl and I love her...as a friend, but that's it."

"Okay, okay I don't know who you are trying to convince more me or you. But whatever I will not mention it again."

"Good."

Just then Cass opens the door and looks pale.

"Cass are you okay?"

She shakes her head and Lily is right by her side.

"I'm sorry, I can't do this you guys. I need to get out of here."

"It's okay babes. I will finish it up for you. Hey Nate, will you take Cass out of here? I'll meet up with you guys later."

"You're the best Lil."

"Anything for you babes. Have fun you two." She winks at me, as I flip her off. We hear her laughter as we leave the house.

"Why was she laughing?"

"Who knows, Lily is a little crazy." She laughs as we head to my bike, and I hand her the helmet.

"That is true." She smiles at me and fuck she is just an amazing person.

"Hop on, we got somewhere to go." I help her on my bike, and I try to keep my cool when she wraps her arms around me.

Act Normal

"Hold on Cass."

"Like I have a choice."

I shake my head and chuckle as I start my bike. This girl is going to be the death of me. Twenty minutes later and we are at our destination. I guide Cass into the building.

"Why are we at a bowling alley?"

"Just trust me. We are going to play."

"Nate, I'm blind, I can't play. What if I hurt someone."?

I gasp and clutch my chest with her hands in mine. "You're blind, why am I just figuring this out?" She laughs as she hits my chest. "Okay, smart crack." I throw my head back and laugh. "Couldn't come up with anything better?"

"No." She pouts and she is too damn cute for her own good. "Besides I'm at a disadvantage, you will surely beat me."

"Nope! I will be playing blind too."

"Okay, I think you have gone mad." I chuckle at that.

Maybe I have

"Well, what do you say?"

"Why not Nate, let's see how bad we play." That's what we did. It was not as easy as I imagined, but we had fun even if our ball went into the next lane. But to see the smile on her face was well worth it. "So, who one?" she asks with excitement in her eyes. "I can't believe I am saying this, but you did."

"You're kidding." She jumps in my arms, luckily, I was right there to catch her. "This is just what I needed. Thank you, Nate." I gulp hard, we are too close, so close that if I lean forward my lips would touch hers. I slowly put her down and ruffle her hair. "Anytime Cass. Plus, there is one more stop for you. Let's go." I guide her to my bike and once she is secured, we take off. I found this place while Lily was trying to get me to confess my feelings, which will not happen. My friendship with Cass means more to me, than some curiosity if we could make it as a couple. If it didn't work out our friendship would be ruined. I can't take that risk.

I stop the bike and take off my helmet and help Cass off too. Shockingly she does not ask me where we are. But as soon as we walk in there is a bell chime that most bookstores have. "Nate, are we at a bookstore?" I take her hand and walk further in. "Yes, we are. But it's not just a regular bookstore" She runs her hands along the shelves but stops. "Braille" Her smile is so bright and the few people that are in here turn and smile at her. She doesn't know it, but she is just that beautiful and people are drawn towards her innocence.

"Yes, I found this earlier today."

"Thank you so much." She kisses my cheek and I swear I can feel the heat rising up my neck to my face. Fuck I don't think I have blushed since I was like twelve years old.

We spent the next hour or so finding the books she loves so much. I just watched as the smile grew and grew on her. I have to get these thoughts out of my head. I need to act normal around her. Maybe I should date someone so these feelings I have for her go away. That's what I will do, so I can finally act normal again, even if it is not what I want most.