39. Fade to Black

"Do you have everything you need, doll?"

"Nate, I swear we are only going to be there for the day. I do not plan on being there any longer than necessary."

Arms snake around my waist and lift me up off the ground. Squealing and laughing he nuzzles his face into the crook of my neck. His lips. They drive me wild! Soft kisses trail along my neck that has me closing my eyes as my feet land on the soft plush carpet.

"I was thinking..."

I spin around in his hold so I can face him, shaking my head. Nerves are getting the best of me. If it was up to me, we would not be going there at all. Images plague my mind just thinking about it. Going home. I can still see the gun. Feel the fear. Even if it wasn't real...it terrifies me!

"Going there and coming right back. I am not...I can't be there longer." Stepping away from me, he sits down on the edge of my bed rubbing his hands on his face. The disappointment is evident, and I hate it! "I'm sorry, Nate. I just can't."

Looking up at me, his arm stretches out and pulls me to him. Standing between his muscular legs as his arms rub up and down my sides.

"I had a date planned out for us. that is all."

Shit! Way to make me feel like a complete bitch!

"Okay." Breathing out a breath to calm my erratic heart. "We go see Uncle Jeff at the office, the date then we come back home. Deal."

"You won't regret it Cass."

I sure hope I don't!

Pulling me closer to him we fall back on to the bed laughing. His lips are on mine, as he holds me tighter.

"We need to go, or we'll be late."

Before we go, I close my eyes and trace every contour on his handsome face. It helps calm me. Being so hell bent on getting my sight back I've taken for granted what I learnt when I was blind.

"I'll never get tired of you doing that." He looks up at me, relaxed with a lazy smile that I can't help but mirror. "Your touch is amazing, the way your fingers caress my face, it's hard to describe." Pulling me down his lips meet mine in a fiery kiss.

"We should go." Stepping back and away from his lips was so damn hard.

"Let's go." You really need to stop smiling at me like that! I will keep you here and say forget everything else. We'll get lost to each other in this bed. "What?" I laugh out as he still just smiles at me. Damn goofball!

"This is real." Why would he ask me that? "Us, together." Bringing my hand up to his lips, I close my eyes and savor this feeling I get with him. "I love you, Cass."

"I love you." When will my heart stop beating so fast around this man? "Now let's go, or you will not have your date, because I do not want to stay long. Just sign the papers and get out."

"You won't regret it baby, I promise."

I trust him, I believe him. But why am I so damn nervous?

_____________

"Open your eyes Cass." Looking around the place is beautiful, and I recognize this place from Nate describing it to me. "What do you think?" Then I remember as tears fall down my face.

"I'm in my alternate reality again and I'm going to wake up and none of this is going to be real."

"What are you talking about?"

I explain everything to him about the date I envisioned with him when I was in a coma.

"Shit! Cass I'm so sorry." You didn't know, but now there is doubts running through my mind. what if I'm still not awake and this is some really messed up illusion. "Hey, look at me." Tilting my chin up his lips brush mine. "This is real, we are real. If not, I never want to wake up either."

"Can we do this another time? I just want to go home."

I hate that I ruined this, but I need some kind of normalcy that is not like my dream world. Maybe that will snap me back to reality.

"Let's grab something to eat first then we will go."

"Thank you."

We ended up at Sal's diner. What are the odds that I am going to the places that were in my dream world?

"Everything okay?" Stop worrying so much, that's my job.

This place brings back a lot of good memories. How can I not be okay with this?

"It's different from what I thought it would look like. Which I am kind of grateful for. Now I know I'm not going crazy."

"If you go crazy, I'll be there to make you sane again."

"Is that so?" I quirk an eyebrow at him as he laughs and ushers us inside. "How would you do that mister?"

"With my charms." I don't doubt that for one moment. Kissing my forehead, we sit in a booth. Wait I know this booth! I remembered every crevice on this surface. Our initials are here as well. The three musketeers. "The booth we always sat in. Do you remember that time we danced in the aisle?" How could I forget?

"Nate I can't go to prom." Please don't be mad. I will make a complete fool out of us, for obvious reasons.

"Cass, that's ridiculous! You ARE going to YOUR prom." Not if I can help it. It will save us both the embarrassment.

"I can't dance Nate or have you forgotten. I already have people tease me all the time, don't need to add this to their list." I don't even know why he wants to go with me. "You're better off doing something else with your time while you are here."

Taking my hands in his, rubbing them trying to soothe me. The only thing it does is confuse me more with those damn tingles!

"You deserve more than anyone else to enjoy your senior year in high school." Yeah, not going to happen. "Besides it's just one year and you can say fuck you to all of them. Well except for Lil because she would leach onto you no matter what."

He has a way to always make me smile. This is why I cannot go. I need to get these emotions in check. I hate being nervous around him all the freaking time! Planting my hands on his shoulders. Oh, boy! Sensations that should not be igniting like lightning through me from his touch.

"I'll guide you through this." Holy Hannah! His hands are on my waist! Swaying me to the music. Am I floating? "See not so bad." Easy for you to say. I might just pass out. "What do you say? Will you still go to prom with me?"

Any other situation but his voice almost sounded, dare I say hopeful.

"You always knew how to make me feel normal even when you made me nervous."

"Nervous is an understatement, Cass."

"Cassie Logan?" Looking up, I stare at the stranger before me. "It's Hunter."

Fuck no!

"Baby, wait up."

Even though I truly haven't seen her since high school my blood runs cold. Clenching onto Nate's hand tighter.

"We need to go now!"

She's going to kill us. I know it!

"Cass, calm down."

I will not! I saw her shoot you. Even if it was not real, it was real to me!

"I need to go Nate." My head pounds so hard I think it might explode. "Please." Why can't I see him clearly?

Oh, damn, panic attack? No, this is much worse than that.

Everything fades to black.