Chapter 9

"Considering Liam's sudden change, I'm afraid that Liam couldn't wait for the baby to be ready for the stem cell transplant

"Considering Liam's sudden change, I'm afraid that Liam couldn't wait for the baby to be ready for the stem cell transplant. I'm sorry."

At this point, Gulf felt hopeless. The efforts all this while went down the drain.

"Then, what's the point of having this baby if my son will end up dying?"

"Gulf!"

"I'm sorry,"  and with that Gulf rose up, before slowly going back to the room, leaving Mew and the two doctors outside.

Mew heaved out a sigh.

***

It was almost midnight when Mew went back to the hospital upon dropping Lily off with his parents. Talking about them, his parents surprisingly accepted the news of them getting back together very well. It was their wish after all, but there is one thing left to fulfill through - marriage. Mew had that matter in mind when he decided to buy the house - heck, he has already planned to propose but now, considering the current situation, he has to put it aside first.

Silence greeted him as he stepped further into the room. Mew then quietly watched Gulf's back from the couch. The carrier was sitting on the chair beside Liam's bed and the said man has been in that position since the time they received the news. His gaze shifted toward the food left untouched on the overbed table. Again, he heaved out a long sigh.

"Tua-eng, you should eat something," Mew softly spoke as he went to the carrier.

"You haven't eaten anything since we came here. Please, at least a spoon or two," Mew now squatted down to reach Gulf's level, holding both of Gulf's hands in his.

Mew could feel his heart constrict to see dry tear marks and swollen eyes on Gulf's.

"I'm not hungry, Mew. I don't think I can take anything now," Gulf replied, almost whispering.

"At least think about our baby, please?"

"Mew, I don't even know if I wanted this baby or not now. Liam is dying then what do I need to carry this baby for?" his voice cracks like he's about to burst into tears again at any second.

His stomach crunches at the hurt in his partner's words but Mew immediately reminds himself that Gulf wasn't in his right mind state. He knew the carrier didn't mean his words but it still hurts him deep down.

"I know this is too much for you but I'm here, Gulf. You're not going through this alone," Mew immediately pulled Gulf into his embrace, burying his nose in the carrier's hair - inhaling deeply.