Interlude

"Lily...." Liam called softly, yet the little girl could hear it still.

Although the drowsiness almost lulled her back to sleep, Lily replied a soft yes, intending to not wake their grandma, who was sleeping soundly on the mattress beside the hospital bed.

"If I couldn't make it, can you tell our baby sibling that I love him so much, and I'm sorry for not being able to see him," Liam continued. A tired smile on his lips became clear.

"You can say it to our baby sibling soon. You will be the one that tells him you love him so much," Lily replied, still keeping her eyes closed, afraid she might break down if she looked at her twin in his eyes now.

"You know I wanted to do that, but who knows? I m-might can not make it. I'm too weak now. I can't handle any more needles going through my skin."

Lily let out a sigh.

"That's enough talking, Liam. Just go to sleep. You're saying nonsense."

"I know I rarely say it, but I love you, Lily. I truly do. Thank you for always being here for me," he whispered to Lily, who kept her eyes closed, and Liam noticed a single tear slipped out from his twin's eye.

"Lily, Liam's tired. I.... wanted to sleep for a while."

Lily opened her eyes once Liam finished talking. She could sense something was wrong with her other twin. "Y-yeah,'' Lily stuttered.

She knew that his time was near. Too near.

And so she bit her quivering lips, trying to steady her shaking arms to hold on to Liam's body tighter as she could feel the taller one sleep. Even though they're twins, Liam is 3 centimeters taller than her. She has always been the smaller among them, but Liam had been the one weaker since they were babies.

"You can sleep, and I'll wake you up in the morning after papa and daddy come, okay?"

Liam never answered her question.

"Sleep tight, Liam," she whispered, and this time, she knew that no one could hear her. "It's been a long, painful journey, hasn't it? It's okay. You can rest now."

And Lily, as a little girl, could only cry after that. She could only cry her heart out, realizing it was the last conversation she would ever have with her twin.

She didn't know how long she only lay there, holding close to the body of the person she had loved her whole life. She didn't care that somewhere in between, the body beside her had turned cold and there was no longer any pulse, or when the tears in her eyes had stopped flowing and left her eyes red and swollen, but Lily kept on holding.

________________________________________________________________________________

See you in the next update, loves ❤️