Chapter 15

Y/n's POV

After school, I was about to head back to the church when Rin stopped me at the shoe lockers. "Where do you think you're going?" She asks me, crossing her arms.

"What does it matter to you?" I say, trying to push past her, only for her to grab my arm. Failing to pull my arm away, I look at her annoyed. "You have a war to win, and I can't help you win the war. You know this, Rin. As the sister of the overseer, I shouldn't take sides in this."

"We both know that's a lie, Y/n. You're brother and father both took the side of my father during the last war. Besides, even if that wasn't the case, wouldn't you have to do something if one of the masters and their servant put a whole school in danger?" She states, clearly trying to stay calm with me. "Now come on, we need to meet Emiya before he comes looking for us." With that, she started to drag me away.

I stare at my friend, feeling a little ashamed of myself. It was clear that Rin was worried about me, and I don't blame her. I've been acting strange recently, hiding secrets, even around her. It hurt me knowing that I was putting my best friend through this, but I knew it would hurt me even more if she got hurt because of me or my brother. Right now she and Emiya are the only allies I know I can trust, and I don't want either of them to get hurt because of my mess. However, Rin did have a point. If masters were putting the public in danger, as the sister of the overseer, I should jump in to stop them.

-=Timeskip=-

After going around, looking for and weakening the siguals for the bounded field, while Rin and I both explained what mages are and how to identify them to Emiya, the three of us went our own ways. It just so happened, Rin decided to walk home with me.

"Why have you been so strange recently?" Rin questions me, causing me to try out walking her, to no avail. "The other night you were so open to Emiya and Saber, despite just meeting them. After the events of yesterday, you started avoiding me. Why is that?"

Due to her berating me, I finally burst. "It's because I don't want you guys to get hurt, alright! Emiya is a novice, who has no business being apart of this war and should be living his life like he was before all this, and you're my best friend. After yesterday, I realized the dangers you would have to go through with me teaming up with you! The targets on your backs would only grow bigger with me by your sides, and I can't do that to you!" I shout, stopping in my tracks when I realize that she stopped in hers.

I turn to see that she was shocked at my sudden out burst, but she quickly recovered before staring at me, almost as if she was looking into my very soul. "Don't you think I realize that? Do you really think I can't protect myself?" Rin talks, staying as calm as she could. Even so, I could hear hurt in her voice. "Now is that all, or do you have more you want to get off your plate?"

I looked at the ground, once again ashamed of myself. "My brother's up to something big." I state, looking back up at her. From the look on her face, I could tell she had an idea that was a part of my odd behavior. "But right now we have bigger issues to deal with. Earlier I met with Assassin and-"

"You met with Assassin?!" She interrupts me.

In response I nod. "She told me that there was another master at school, not just Shinji. We both know that by himself, we can handle Shinji just fine and that we need to make sure that he doesn't form an alliance with anyone else. This other master, their servant is much stronger and we're going to need to deal with them after Shinji." I explain, crossing my arms.

Rin stayed quiet for a moment, closing her eyes, probably to think about the situation. "Is that all she told you."

"Yes."

"In that case, we're going to have to deal with Shinji before the other threat. All we know is that they go to our school, so we can't do much about that at the moment." She says, opening her eyes. My friend starts walking once more. "For now we should just keep our eyes open for the other master and their servant. They might slip up, and when they do, we'll be there to get the drop on them."

I watch as she walks past me, following after her as she did. It relieved me to finally let all that baggage out, but still, I couldn't seem to tell her everything I knew.