8: Infernos and Its Residents

Leave a comment!

Leave a comment!

Are you liking this story so far? Let me know if you feel bored.

"These words of gloomy colour I beheld inscribed upon the summit of a gate; whence I said, "Their meaning, Teacher, troubles me.""

- Inferno III, Dante Alighieri

TW: death, body horror

Lunaire's POV:

"James DuPont, an alleged human trafficker, who was also known for his notorious sex cartel that was situated all over the world, died three days ago. Brutally murdered and found in a trashcan near the 67 high street, DuPont's body was horribly mutilated. Signs of extreme torture found all over him. A day after his death, however, his information was leaked on the dark web by an unknown source. The information include: His phone numbers, addresses, images, sex tapes and many more-"

I run through the large hallways of the Victor manor, lungs burning from exertion.

He can't die, not yet. Not without Roseline's permission.

Black dots dance in my vision as I burst into my older brother's study.

Silence greets me.

Marienne sits with his iPad in his hand, his gaze hollowed. Roseline sits on the sofa across from him; her porcelain skin ashened, her unblinking gaze on her trembling hands.

He looks up, slowly. His gaze resembles that of a defeated man.

My feet carry me to Roseline. I wish I could comfort her. I wish I could find anything to say to her, but it would only hurt her more.

And it would be treachery on my part.

I sit beside her, taking her snow-cold hand in mine, caressing it. She looks up.

And much to my shock, give me a smile.

It is wobbly, laced with anguish and bears the marks of time; winters and springs that passed with her being traumatised by that man, but it is a smile nonetheless.