10: A Dance With The Devil

"When as we read of the much-longed-for smile Being by such a noble lover kissed, This one, who ne'er from me shall be divided, Kissed me upon the mouth all palpitating

"When as we read of the much-longed-for smile Being by such a noble lover kissed, This one, who ne'er from me shall be divided, Kissed me upon the mouth all palpitating." -Dante Alleighiri, The Divine Comedy

_________________________

Leave some comments >:( 

Lunaire's POV:

Passacaglia reverberates through the ballroom as I stare into his eyes, unmoving, unflinching.

The soulful cries of the violin blend along the scorned walls. Breezes past men and women with their partners. The glitters and lights flashes around and none of that catches my eyes.

Him and only him.

He looks as morose as I had last seen him, standing in the middle of the bleak snowy field, like a silhouette.

His messy hair falls over his forehead, his stubble carved neatly. A hand in his pocket, the other one clad in black leather gloves. A black suit with white shirt, like most men yet he stands out.

I suck in a deep breath as I reminisce about the parting gift I had given him.

"I will make you pay for it, Luna."

"And when I do, you will be begging me for mercy."

I grab my palm as if it were yesterday I had slapped him.

Fear slithers within me like a venomous snake, cuddling me in a vice grip and making me unable to breathe.

Is he here to extract the payment for the disrespect?

My heart palpitates loudly, for a moment I fear it may bruise my ribs. His gaze scorns me. I am captivated yet nothing stops me from running the fuck out of here.

He walks toward me and time slows down. I am afraid of him but a part of me remains curious if he will follow through with his threat and if so, how he will do it.

Because for the smallest moment, I wanted his punishment.

I turn around, unable to bear the merciless assault of his eyes any longer. I walk over to the dinner table and take a gulp of the red wine.