21. I Think The Ghost Likes Me

A loud ringing music deafened my ears. Where the hell was it coming from?

My body fell loosely on the floor. It ached a bit. It was disillusioning..., wasn't it? I bestirred myself, clutching my temples with the edge of my palm. The headache slowly eased off.                    The surroundings around me turned normal and there was no boy or girl around. And I returned to my senses realizing the loud music was from my phone. 

It was Marigold's call.

"Where the hell are you, Al? It's drizzling and we're waiting for you outside." Marigold blasted my ears with a low-pitched voice. 

She was out? I heard Rick saying something in the background. "Ah, I was...just searching for...," I put my phone on the shelf, "Uh,...evidence. I will come back, you guys go." I straightened my red currant-colored sweatshirt, rummaging through the shelves. I might discover something by chance.

What?

 A dictionary? 

It was dusty and old. No one had touched this shelf, huh. Who would even read a dictionary. They obviously took some better-looking books in the absence of a smart device.

"The police have arrived. They're gonna take over, so you need to return, bruh." She squealed. Why does she keep changing tones.

I slammed the old, nearly-tattered dictionary on the table, disconnecting the call.

Yeah right. They'll intervene now. Because what we found is not evidence, but victims after going missing for more than a fortnight. And, they were students too.

I pinched my forehead. This case was definitely related to the paranormal. Who would explain the strange occurrence just now, otherwise. That kind of wide-awake paralysis..., there was no doubt that it involved normal people too. But the key to it lies in the supernatural. 

I rang Eva up. She was a sort of a psychic spirit sensor. And that was also why Jack was so bent upon having her under his wing, in the beginning. She received the call, sighing the first thing when I got on the line.

I had no time to waste. "Eva, how do you usually leave a message for them. Those not from this world..."

"Huh? Why do you ask-" 

"Tell me." I insisted, sharply and took a look towards the stairs. It was pouring. 

"Seriously, I hate your demanding tone. Alright, I think you could just leave them letters. Or maybe a note? Okay, I'm busy." She scoffed and cut me off.

Do I really get on people's nerves or is everyone being snarky? But the thing is I do not like to care, don't they know that.

I don't think I can leave any notes or letters. The police will collect those as evidence. What's worse, I could hear them approaching. 

I could ask the occult-freak, Marigold too but I'd rather do things on my own. "Any spirit here, I ask you to leave the powerless out of trouble. Approach us, the psychics. I am available, at your service." I spoke to the walls but it did not seem maniacal. It was rather unsettling because it felt like they heard it. 

The walls.

They heard it.

Then as if in response, water trickled down from the roof on the walls. It wasn't even raining heavily. The rain had ceased for a while. Yet there was water on the walls. I walked close and breezed my finger over the cold surface. 

"Ayo, boy. What are you doing down here? Go back with the other kids. Your family must be worried sick and you don't wanna return fast, eh?" A gravelly male voice called out.