:: 4 ::

Maybe coming to terms that you liked your best friend was harder than you thought because, now that every time Renjun came over to your apartment to hang out with you, you were just a little bit too nervous each time

Every single eye contact the two of you held, the normal hand-holding and the movie night cuddling all seemed to make you feel different suddenly. It made you feel like this was what you were going to experience if you were just his girlfriend.

And you're not. You know that very well. You don't mean to disrespect his future girlfriend in any way but dreams can be dreams, Let a girl fantasize, will you?

Things started taking a turn when Donghyuck showed up at your apartment unannounced. He made himself at home and managed to finish all your pop tarts without thinking twice and then your blood was boiling every time you reached out for your favourite candies box only to find it empty, finished by that idiotic man.

Annoyed by his antics, you got ready to go out grocery shopping for pop tarts amongst other things. Pulling your jacket over your shoulder as you sighed. The weather was getting really bad these days and you had a seriously bad cold. You almost felt like your head would blow off every time you sneezed.

And yet, even then, as if your cold wasn't enough to bother you, here came the everlasting singing defect of a human, tagging along with you happily. (you only say singing defect because you would never be caught complimenting Donghyuck in front of him) Arms swinging side to side as he exclaims how nice and chilly the new weather is.

And if you could, you would've socked him and left him next to a trash can to make sure he didn't talk for the rest of the walk to the grocery store but you had to hold yourself back. Self-control, baby. Not the best at it, but you're getting there.

Donghyuck poked at your shoulder, a visible pout as he blinked, "Can you get pop tarts for me?"

"...No."

"Why not?!?"

"You finished mine!"

"I didn't finish yours, I was just vacuuming the remaining crumbs!"

"What you define as crumbs is the whole fucking pop tart, you chip idiot."

It's not unusual for you and Donghyuck to fight. You always had disputes back in high school too. Whether it was about having a better library book or predicting America's Top Model's rankings, the two of you always differed in opinions.

Donghyuck only looks at his shoes and stomps on the ground like a child throwing a tantrum. He wraps his arms around himself and casts you a scandalized look, "I didn't get my money," He whines again, pulling at the sleeve of your jacket as you had to hold yourself back from physically smashing his nose inward.

You turn towards him, a few dollars in your hand as you shove it into his chest, "Go get some pop tarts, you big baby." You groaned, frowning as you put your cold fingers into your jacket pocket again, hopefully, to warm it up.

Donghyuck flashed you a cheeky grin as he hopped off to the sweet section and you sighed, picking up the last of the vegetables from your grocery shopping list. You bend over to pick the rather sad-looking capsicum when someone's hand reaches it before you.

And you jump back in surprise only to see your best friend, flashing his white pearly teeth in your face as he greets you, "I didn't know you were here!" Renjun exclaimed.

You grinned at him, as you chuckled a bit, "Well, what can I say, sad-looking capsicums are the life of my love, right?" You cheered, your hand resting on your hip as you took in the sight of your best friend.

Renjun only raises an eyebrow at you and flicks your forehead, "You mean, the love of my life. Not life of my love." He laughs at you as you rub your forehead with a slight pout.

You are about to ask him if he is busy when a female voice calls out for your best friend before you can even speak. "Renjun? Get your ass here right now or I'm leaving you for the streets!" She screamed, her voice clearly dripping with sarcasm.

You couldn't help but pause at the voice as you glance at Renjun chuckling into his fist as he ruffles his hair, "That's my cue to leave, gotta go or else girlfriend's gonna go ballistic. Catch you later!" And just like that, your best friend leaves you as soon as you have seen him.

The sad-looking capsicum that was once in your hands, was rolling down the floor as you tried to process the information. Huang Renjun, your best friend and your crush, had a girlfriend.

Huang Renjun had a girlfriend. And he isn't available.

God, you were pathetic to ever think you ever stood a chance.

You felt your heart sink into your stomach as you look towards the floor, a single tear rolling down your cheeks as you think back to the times it was only you and him. Was it all fake? No, how could you even ask such a question? He was never yours, to begin with.

You're his best friend. That's right. You needed to know your place. You weren't his girlfriend, and you probably won't ever be.

Donghyuck returned with 2 boxes of Pop-Tarts when he found you breaking down in front of the vegetable corner, dropping the boxes into the cart, he rushed towards you and pulled you into a hug. Patting your hair lightly, he tried to give you some sort of solace.

You cried out your heart's content, and although you must admit it might've been embarrassing to do it in public, you were glad that Donghyuck was there to hold you through your breakdown. You felt like shit. Quite literal shit and you couldn't do anything about it because Renjun didn't even do anything wrong. He was just, being himself.

And yet here you are, crying because of him. Donghyuck's heart was filled with pity for you because he was sure that Renjun returned the same feelings for you. I mean, who else talks about their best friend the way Renjun does about you? He runs his mouth on and on, talking about the interesting day the both of you had together, face to face or on social media platforms, you were everywhere.

And yet, with all of the thoughts that ran through Donghyuck's mind, all he could muster out was a sentence of comfort that probably did nothing to cease your pain. He repeated, hoping it would help, "It's okay."

You gripped onto Donghyuck's grey hoodie as you sobbed, even more, the feeling of rejection hitting stronger. You could only wish that you wouldn't have to see your best friend because although you entirely and thoroughly love him, you feel like you'll break down whenever you see him. And that meant one thing, to avoid him.

And that's what you did.