Chapter 3

Forest of Mineas

"Hey Leka! It's really dangerous to venture out, we don't know if we will encounter those monsters, you know." Rinne, who looked anxious, wanted her childhood friend to stop being reckless.

"Don't worry! They haven't appeared for a couple of days now. They might be dumb monsters that can't remember our village location, so we should be safe. "

"No, even if we don't include those monsters, ordinary monsters like bears and wolves are still roaming around... This idiot. " Leka didn't hear the warning from Rinne because she was already too far gone and was not minding her surroundings, despite the fact that the elves are inherently sensitive to noise. Rinne gave up and began to pursue her tomboyish childhood friend.

They continued to trek through the woods, hilly terrain, and some cliffs before reaching the river. 

"Hey, what's happening?" Leka was puzzled by the river, which also made Rinne curious. "What do you mean?"

"The water turned... Or maybe it's just my imagination... There's also no salmon or other fish here. Should we go further east here, we might catch them there." Despite feeling there's something off on the river, Leka still persists in catching fish to dine on, much to the chagrin of Rinne.

They resumed their walk, unaware that someone was watching and preying on them.

 °°°°

In the deeps of the wood, several men in dirty robes watched the unsuspecting elves on the side of the river.

One of them is from the wolf tribe, a race of beast men who excel at hunting and tracking, with abilities comparable to special forces or force recon units on modern Earth, except they only use primitive gear like swords, bows, and rarely muskets.

"We seem to have another merchandise to catch, and since they are pretty young, they could fetch quite a price if we sold them to the nobles."

 "Yeah, elves are pretty rare due to their tendencies to stay in their nearly impossible to locate villages. But we will become filthy rich even if we capture one. I believe the last time an elf was sold was for 700 large gold coins. Even though she is already used, she could be sold at that kind of price. If these two are pure, then we could sell them even higher and double the price because we have two of them here."

"Chu, what about you?" One of the hooligans talked to the wolf tribe member who were drinking ale. "I would like to taste one of them."

"Hey hey man, hold on, the wolf tribe have a strong libido and sense of violence. You might ruin them. You know, we could just buy some human slaves for you." But they rejected his plans because of the possibility he was going to kill or damage them in the process, as wolf tribes have a trait of wanting to dominate their partners, so they tend to be violent.

"Tsk, then I'll accept that." Chu let out a dissatisfied tone, but understood that they are here to earn money with delicate handling and, depending on the quality, they might get much lower pay. That's why he couldn't be picky and refrained from trying to lay a hand on those elves.

"Should we wait first and let them lead us to their secret village or capture them now and torture them to spit out their village location?" A rookie in the group asked. He is still learning how to operate in human trafficking, slave trade, and illegal transactions, so he is quite hot-blooded.

"Not——Grrrrooooawwww!" Before one of the seniority of them replied, a powerful ear-splitting roar could be heard over 600 meters away, silencing every single one of them.