Chapter 16

"Sorry, what?"

I uttered those words as I cluelessly scanned the surroundings. Presently, it's the weekly meeting of provincial officials down to the municipal level, all currently present at my gubernatorial office. I see familiar faces, including military personnel, opposition leaders, and some new faces, probably brought in due to vacancies or other reasons.

"Let me iterate it once more," Nathan, always the leading speaker for me and my trusted aide, said something ridiculous just now. "The government reformation and declaration of independence of Cignus. We have already been cut off from the mainland, with no support and no reason to cling to legrand since they're non-existent here, and their laws are definitely not suitable for our current situation," he explained to me. I was still processing what would happen if this actually occurred—a new independent country.

Wait, I've already heard this thing before; with one declaration of independence, whatever governing people and head of the last election must be elected again. So, being reelected, chances of me winning were never guaranteed, right!? Let's ask...

"There would be an election because of the change, right?" I said staunchly, without fear, but deep inside, I was greatly shaken.

Nathan nodded at my reply and uttered ominously, or so it seemed in my imagination, despite not actually doing so.

"Yes, governor," he responded politely, but again it felt extremely ominous to me.

Wait a minute! I haven't even saved enough salary for my savings! And they'll throw me aside as a useless, unproductive member of society, an unemployed individual? Hell no!

"Isn't it too sudden?" I retorted, trying to delay the independence movement until after my term, focusing on gathering my savings as a priority over unnecessary things that could threaten my only livelihood and source of income.

"It might be," he said to me with a wondering face, scanning the entire room. "However, as we journey in this world, it's increasingly apparent that we can't cling to our former country. To begin with, only a frontier province of legrand exists here—a fraction of the population and industrial power that barely functions after the transfer. If we wish to move to the next step, we must create our own unified command under our own laws suited for our needs, our government without relying on the outdated laws of legrand." He said to me, and while I understand what he's trying to convey, there's a bit of a loophole, and that's...

"What if Legrand itself is somewhere on this world? Isn't the horizon of this world abnormally large? Isn't it possible that a few thousand kilometers from us, legrand is there, trying to contact or perhaps busy doing stuff?" I said. We've been materialized and thus transferred to another, albeit only a province. However, the possibility of our own mainland being transferred here too is never zero. It wouldn't be funny if we declare independence and we're discovered by the mainland; it would be deemed as rebellion

Fuck, I knew how gigantic legrand is; it would be like a scene from a horror movie if they mobilized their military to subjugate a rebellious region. Hell would break loose with their common sense so warped that the Geneva Convention doesn't exist in their dictionary. All I could see is a very bad end for me and everyone else thinking we could withstand that fucking country. Even the Soviet Union in the '80s would pale in comparison. The thought alone terrified me.

"That's..." Nathan and others appear to have some thoughts about it but can't let them out, probably not knowing what to say either. This is a big problem and a positive one for me, as leaving the status as a legrand province won't really bother Cignus that way. Also, no independence means no reelection, thus I could secure my seat for a few more years.