Sunday Morning

For this entire book, italics are conversations between Sonic and whoever's in his mind.

Eggman never attacks on a Sunday. Streets are quieter. Birds somehow chirp softer than normal. Even Sticks learned to be more considerate on the weekends. Man, I love Sundays because they're the calmest day of the week.

Which is why I kind of hate Sundays.

Of all the days of the week, Fleetway had to be Sunday. Sunrise is when he strikes today, and I'm not all about Fleetway getting pissed over every little thing. Sundays are supposed to be relaxing, not filled with chaos.

I decided to get up from bed and do something productive before Fleetway alters me. Stepping outside, the crisp morning breeze slapped me across the face, and it was the best slap ever. In the distance, I could see Sticks happily tending to her little garden outside her hut, guarded by conveniently grown trees surrounding it. She noticed my presence, and mindlessly skipped over to me.

"Gooood morning Sonic the Hedgehog! How're ya feeling today? Happy? Sad? Depressed? Anxious?" She ranted.

I chuckled. "Peachy for now. Say, what time's sunrise?"

Sticks instantly remembered and shot a stare at the sky. "Sunrise is at 7:56. I'd say about an hour from now."

I sighed happily, and Sticks smiled a bigger smile. Thank god all my friends know of my alterations or hiding it would've been a nightmare. Knowing I had basically a full hour before being altered was a blessing. It's not often I wake up with that much time before an alteration.

"I'm gonna go say good morning to the girls then. See ya later Sticks." I saluted before speeding off to the girls' mega cabin-complex thing they decided to build. Despite it only containing Amy, Cream, Blaze, and Rouge, the amount of space they gave themselves could've been enough resources to recreate Eggman's army three times over. But that's just me. Sticks waved goodbye as I departed from one of my sanctuaries.

As I ran to the girls' home, I pondered about how my alterations actually work, like I do many, many times a day. They can act freely, whenever they please, as long as it's their day and it's between sunrise and sunset. Some of them rarely show themselves through me; others abuse their availability. Fleetway leans towards the abusive side, unfortunately. I would've preferred him choose a weekday.

About one and a half minutes from leaving my house, I finally made it to the girls. Sure, I kind of only went to see Blaze. Sure, I could be suspicious about the fact that I like her. It could happen that everyone finds out. The question is: Do I care? Nope! So as embarrassing as it could be to be exposed, I confidently knocked on their door. The sun doesn't stop after all.

Cream answered the door with blushing cheeks, until she noticed it was me. "Oh, it's you. Nevermind girls, it's just Sonic!"

Amy, Rouge, and Blaze popped out from different hiding spots, Rouge with the most disappointed face.

"And good morning to you too, lovestruck rabbit." I teased. Point is, Tails and Cream can't deny their crushes for each other forever. Teens don't do that.

"Hey! Blaze, flame this man!" Cream yelped. All Blaze could do was chuckle.

"I'd rather not. For one, I'm not one to harm friends over silky bickering. For two, I'm sure Sonic's worried more about himself, so I wouldn't want to add to that." Blaze explained calmly, as usual.

Cream grunted and stomped away, allowing Rouge to step up to the door next to Blaze.

"Honestly, it's such a shame Tails didn't answer. I know I'm known to love a cheeky romance story!" Rouge piped up with her hands on her cheeks dramatically, faking a lovestruck expression.

Me and Blaze laughed in unison, making me blush lightly and stopping my laugh early. Blaze noticed, but didn't react.

Amy walked up to the door next, with a container of oatmeal. "For your transition by the lake." She explained.

"Thanks Ames. Can always count on a friend like you." She smiled warmly at my comment before looking shocked at the time.

"Sonic, it's almost sunrise! You'd better hurry, just in case." Amy warned. I took a few steps back.

"Alrighty then. Thanks for breakfast, and I'll be back for fun!" I announced.

"Hopefully." I muttered under my breath as I sped to my usual altering spot by the lake. I sat down on the same boulder I always do at this time. It's closer to my home that's the girls', but both trips are a breeze. Opening up the container of oatmeal, I looked up at the sky as I took my first spoonful. The sun seemed to shine it's brightest for the morning, indicating Fleetway's weekly arrival.

"Morning Esth!"

"Yeah yeah... That nickname's old Fleet."

"Yet it always finds a way to bother you."

"By 'it,' you mean 'you?'"

"Why of course! Who else would it be?"

"Whatever."

"Anyway, I hope you're ready to be disrespectful!"

"Yeah, sure. The usual. You try your best to affect me while I try to be nice to everyone. It'll eventually balance out."

"Good luck today Esth!"

"Seriously, you need a new nickname for me."

Somehow, I managed to completely gulp down the entirety of the oatmeal during our conversation. As of the end of that conversation, Fleetway officially has part control over my actions until sunset. I shook the possibility of being rude by choice away and decided to say good morning to Tails and Knuckles next. Hopefully Fleetway won't try anything too crazy.

As I returned home, The first thing I noticed was a funky smell coming from inside. I opened the door, and was greeted to a cloud of smoke originating from the kitchen, the place the two culprits happened to be standing.

"I tried making you breakfast Sonic." Tails explained innocently. "Well, us." He added.

"Why didn't you just wait for me?" I snapped, facepalming.

"It was supposed to be a big surprise meal!" Knuckles explained.

I rolled my eyes before cleaning up the mess in less than ten seconds. "Let's just go eat out." I suggested. They agreed.