20. E Pluribus Unum

It has been more than 30 minutes since El has been trying to find the flayed. While Nancy, Jonathan and Will have been trying to call every possible location in a desperate attempt to check for missing chemicals, Mike has been pacing nervously throughout the entire room. Something that only put everyone else on edge.

Bella and Lucas have been mostly quiet, but the same can't be said for Max and Mike.

"It can't be good for her to be in there for this long!" Mike sighed, trying not to disturb his girlfriend.

"Mike you need to relax." the ginger girl rolled her eyes. And she was right, the only thing that Mike did right now was escalating the already bad situation.

"What if she gets brain damage or something?" the raven-haired boy questioned. This seemed to interrupt Lucas' eating as he furrowed his brows.

"Oh, shit. Is that, like, a real thing?" the boy asked, not sure if he should believe his friend.

"No, it's not." Max got up from her spot, "He made it up. Mike doesn't know what the hell he is talking about."

"Oh and you do?"

"No, I.." the girl continued, but at that same time Nancy started talking on the phone. She and Jonathan still haven't given up after more than an hour of calling different places. Bella sighed, not being able to listen to either of the two groups. The only thing the young Winston wished for right now was to get home and cuddle with Max. Not listen to her arguing with Mike over and over again.

In some weird way, this reminded her of the events that occurred the last time they had to fight the Mind Flayer. The girl and the boy would constantly be on each other's throats and were honestly unbearable to be around. Seems like not much has changed since.

"...but that's the difference between us! I admit when I don't know something!" the Redhead continued, making Bella sigh.

"Mike, Max, could we please get a time out?" Lucas sighed and leaned back on his couch. The boy and the girl just looked at him and then restarted their argument.

"It was a good try." Bella smiled at the boy and he nodded.

"Really can't get a break." Lucas laughed and earned a chuckle from Bella. He was entirely right.

~~~

"Okay, can you guys settle an argument for us?" Lucas and Bella watched Max while she attempted to "solve" the argument. The Redhead was now standing in front of Nancy and Jonathan and they seemed to not be happy about the fact that someone interrupted their discussion.

"Who do you think should decide El's limits? Mike or Eleven?" the girl questioned and made Bella chuckle. The Redhead always knew how to get the best of the situation and this time was no different.

"The way that you frame that is such bullshit!" the boy next to her defended.

"It's not bullshit, Mike. This is your whole problem! And it's also precisely the reason why she dumped your ass!" Max yelled back in response. Lucas and Bella stood up to be able to listen to the argument and made their way next to Will.

"El dumped you?" Nancy's eyes widened.

"Yeah because she is conspiring against me. She's corrupting her. Just like she corrupted Bella!" the boy yelled at his sister, making all the girls in the room frown.

"She didn't corrupt me!" Bella exclaimed and Mike looked at her, like he didn't expect her to be there.

"I was enlightening them!" Max rolled her eyes and let out a sigh, "The fact is they and specifically El are not yours! She is her own person, fully capable of making her own decisions! And when I showed Bella that, you were mad at me!"