Chapter 1

I revised the synopsis. You can check it out if you haven't yet.

Chapter 1

The next day,
Lunch,
Brewed Cafe

"I'm sorry, did I hear you correctly?" Tyler frowned and opened his mouth to continue but he stopped himself and swept his eyes around before leaning to me for a whisper. "You want me to hack Mariano Il Volo's schedule? The Mariano Il Volo?" Tyler whisper-yelled and I stopped myself from rolling my eyes. Since River is abroad, this is the perfect time to execute my plan. I will try to behave and keep my promise on staying out of trouble. Hopefully.

"Yes, Tyler. You heard me correctly. Now go back to your seat because the waitress lady is looking scandalized. It's not as if we're eating each other's faces."

Tyler blushed and flicked my forehead with a huff. "You're not my type, Arden. I want someone who is a daddy material." Oh, yeah. Tyler is a little so I am very protective of him which explained why he never had a boyfriend. I don't want him to get hurt and I know jerks when I see one so I immediately shoo them away.

Well, that's what I thought, but Tyler found a douchebag; the one who cheated on him and broke up with him. I can't watch over him all the time and since he seemed happy with the dirtbag, I let him be. One month later, which was yesterday, he called me crying.

"Have you moved on from that scumbag?" I sipped on my iced coffee and took a bite of my chocolate cake. God. Coffee and chocolate? The best for me. This café has the best chocolate cake and iced coffee in town. Tyler and I have been eating here for who knows when and since we are regulars, they always reserved our favorite spot for us come lunch.

I don't work with Tyler in the same company but my workplace is just a block away from him and this cafe is located in the middle. I work as an art curator in a small but exclusive art gallery. River's acquaintance works there so River recommended me for the job. I love art so River made a good decision. Since I enjoy my job, it means that I would keep out of trouble and will not slack off.

I sometimes wonder what made River think that he couldn't trust me when I'm outside. Was it that time in senior year when I accidentally broke the glass window of the claw machine in the arcade center? In my defense, it was super rigged. I spent five dollars on that thing and I couldn't even get one toy out. It was at the heat of the moment and I only broke two, not the entire row of claw machines.

Maybe it was that time when I hit my guy classmate with a bat after we won the baseball championship during intramurals, junior year? That fucker tried to steal my first kiss and I was holding a bat. He was bound to get hit. What made him think that I was the least interested in him? "Hey, Ty. Remember that guy who tried to kiss me in junior high?"

Tyler's frown deepened and stuffed his face with baked mac and cheese, his favorite. He could eat it morning, noon, and night, and he will still ask for more for his snack. "Yeah. Good thing he didn't suffer a concussion. Why?"

"He tried to kiss me because he thought I like him. Why did he think that?"

Tyler blinked slowly and snapped his fingers. "It was because you kept staring at him! Kind of, because he was wearing a limited-edition t-shirt from your favorite band. You wanted so bad to get it."

My mood soured when an unpleasant memory flashed in my mind. "That fucker. I remember now. He was the one who bribed the security guard to let him inside the shop first. I was not staring at him; I was glaring. He should've known the difference."