Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Who was it again? The one who warned me that my stupidity will bite me in the ass? Was it Tyler? Or River? I can't remember. All I know is that I fucked up. Is there a way to turn back time? Back to when my life was peaceful? Back to when I can breathe easily without fear of someone stabbing my back?

"Sir? Would you like a bigger shovel?" I blinked slowly and glanced at the man beside me. He was wearing a black suit with white gloves, with a pin on his breastpocket, carrying the logo of the Il Volo family. I think he is around forty years old, his head peppered with black and gray strands. He is the head butler of the family, but from now on, he will be serving me, per Mariano's orders.

With dead eyes, I nodded. "Please. Also, bring back two helpers. I have to finish digging before he comes back."

He smiled and nodded. "Yes, Sir. Whatever you wishes."

I wiped the sweat on my forehead and continued to dig. Since I am only allowed to use a gardening shovel at first, I cannot finish my project right away. I have been doing this for thirty minutes now and I am getting tired. I guess William cannot stand the sight so he offered to help, for the tenth time.

"You're so busy," a familiar baritone voice quipped, a slight amusement in his tone. He was standing in the gazebo, holding a glass of cold water and a cotton towel.

With a glare and a rebellious pout, I stomped my way towards him and grabbed the water while he lifted his hand to wipe the sweat trickling down my neck. I was about to protest when he mouthed, 'Behave. We have eyes everywhere.'

Inhaling deeply, I was able to muster a smile and tilted my head so he can dry my sweat. With a pleased smirk, he dabbed the towel on my skin with gentle movements, and I couldn't help but stare at him as he does it. I'm not going to lie, Mariano is sinfully attractive. The way he threw his gaze at me makes my heart race for no reason; most of the times, it's me who shy away because I feel like a prey about to be devoured if I keep my gaze on him. Even with black pants and dress shirt, his appeal explodes. Any woman or man would be attracted to him.

Maybe it's because he is from the mafia but he has muscles in the right places, giving off the aura of a strong and dominant alpha male. How would it feel if I happen to be in his embrace? Will I feel safe? What kind of training does he do to have such a toned body?

"I have a picture. Want me to send it to you?"

I was dragged back to reality when I heard his teasing voice. "What?" Frowning, I downed the whole glass and snatched the towel from him when I heard footsteps coming from the house. Two male servants emerged with two huge shovels with William carrying a slightly bigger gardening shovel, just a size larger than the one I used.

"Are you kidding me? I thought you were going to bring me a bigger one?"

William nodded. "I did, Sir. This is one size larger. The handle is longer so technically, it is bigger."

I closed my eyes and took another deep breath. Calm down, Arden. Do not get stressed or you'll lose. You are not a fucking loser. "Fine. Start digging. I'm going to rest for a few seconds."

"You still haven't told me what your project is," Mariano approached me and ordered the men to continue working.

"Why would I tell you?" Stay strong, Arden. Keep your guards up. Do not get swayed by his charming smiles, which keeps happening on the daily. I thought this man didn't know how to smile but everytime our eyes meet, he always has a teasing smirk ready.

"Well, since I'm letting you ruin my perfectly maintained and lawned garden, I should at least know what the fuck you're doing." I glanced at him and he doesn't look angry, only amused. In fact, he was ordering them to work properly.