Chapter 18

Chapter 18

M A R I A N O

Around four days ago,

I didn't want to leave Arden, but a good friend of mine mentioned that he might have an idea of the identity of the person being chased by the organization. With a heavy heart, I placed the fresh flowers on his bedside and pressed my lips on my forehead. I think I am overreacting. I will be back home later, anyway.

Arden stirred in his sleep and slowly opened his eyes. I forget that he has a sensitive sense of smell, so he might have sensed me. "Mariano, you're going already?" Who thought that a bedroom voice could never be sexy? Arden's voice is just music to my ears, and I wouldn't mind hearing him talk the entire day.

I softly rubbed his cheeks, and he leaned into my hand. That was fucking adorable. "I'm going ahead, Arden. Eat your meals and don't stress out Hal so much, okay? I'll be back in the evening." I decided that Hal is the best person to protect Arden, especially with Arden's delicate situation.

Arden sleepily nodded. "Okay. Take care, hmm? And say bye-bye to our baby bean." He grabbed my hand and placed it on his slightly protruding belly. My chest tightened from overwhelming emotions as I gingerly rubbed his belly and leaned down to give it a soft kiss.

"See you later, baby bean. Don't give your daddy a hard time."

Arden giggled softly, his eyes half-opened. "I'll see you later, Mariano." I hummed and gave him one last kiss before I left the mansion and drove to the headquarters. When I reached the top floor, I saw the familiar back of a man who holds a huge organization on his shoulders.

"Zee. It's been so long." I heard a gasp, and he turned to me with a smile.

"Mariano! Dad's been talking about you. You don't visit him enough." I would say that he and I are childhood friends. Since we live in the same world and socialize in the same circle, we decided that it wouldn't be so bad to be friends.

"Where's Jin?" I asked, referring to his personal bodyguard turned fiancé. Technically, Jin Yamamoto works for Alessio Morelli, but Jin is also the advisor for the largest yakuza in Japan. I don't exactly know the full story, but Jin decided to go back to Japan, something he swore he would never do.

"Oh, the Don asked for him, but he'll be back later. Now, let's discuss what you came for." Zee motioned for me to sit down.

"You must have heard bits and pieces from our last talk, but I need your help. Someone has been trying to sabotage our operations, and I need weapons; and men. I need to take him out fast."

Zee raised his brow, his lips rising for a curious smirk. "Hmm. That's new. You're the type of person who enjoys hunting your prey, but now you want it to be over already? You are stimulating my brain cells, Mariano. Who's he?"

"What made you think that it's a guy?"

Zee rolled his eyes and crossed his arms. "I'm a psychic. I know these things," he replied playfully, and when I stared at him in nonchalance, he breathed out and surrendered. "Fine. I might have heard from Hal about your latest conquest," he said with the most innocent smile he could muster.

"He's not a conquest; he's my lover. I really need to check where Hal's loyalty lies. He's too easy to sway."

Zee chuckled. "Nah. He only told me that someone's been taking up your time lately, but he never told me who. Care to share? I can find out about him in the next few hours, but since we're friends, I respect your privacy," he smiled innocently. All I could do was exhale in exasperation.