Chapter 3

When I got home with Olivia that night, I headed to shower and get some sleep. As I was plugging my phone in to charge, I noticed a text from Paul asking if I'd made it home. I let him know I had and before long my phone was ringing.

"Hello," I said swiftly as I answered it.

"Sorry this is weird. Isn't it?"

I laughed a little at the now familiar voice. "No. Just unexpected I guess."

"I'm sorry. I just wanted to hear your voice."

"Now that's weird."

He chuckled a little and the sound brought a smile to my face.

"Yeah I know."

"I was just getting ready for bed Paul."

"I'll let you go," he said.

"I'll text you in the morning."

"I look forward to it."

"Have a goodnight Paul." He returned the phrase and we both hung up.

I placed my phone on the charger and headed to bed.

As I laid in bed that night trying to sleep, Paul was stuck in my mind. There was something about him that was drawing me in. I wanted to know everything about him.

I had to push him from my mind to finally drift asleep.

When I woke up the next morning, Paul had already texted me. I replied quickly before going down to the kitchen where my aunt had made some eggs and toast.

"Thank you," I said. She nodded and we talked a little about the night. I was hung up on some dream I'd had last night and she wanted all the details. Problem was: I couldn't remember most of it. I'd given her the details I could remember without too much divulging.

She didn't need to know that after just one day of knowing him I was dreaming about Paul.

"I'll be home about four," she said. "Just need to get some stuff cleaned out of the classroom."

"Do you need help?" I asked.

"No," she said. "You get to stay home and relax. The weather isn't going to be good, so maybe you should stay and settle in."

"And tomorrow I'll start looking for a job."

"Ah yes, your father cut you off," she said.

"You say that like I'm a trust fund baby."

"I'm just saying, you could've gotten money from him. You and I both know it."

"Olivia, I don't want his hush money." I laughed a little as we cleaned the kitchen quickly.

She headed out for work and I went to my room, getting dressed in some jean shorts and a crop top. I did a bit of makeup and opted for a messy bun.

My phone went off again and it was Paul. He called and we spoke for nearly an hour before he had to go. I cuddled up on the couch once the phone call ended. I turned on some reruns of a 90s TV show and closed my eyes. I was exhausted from everything going on in my life so I took a nap before lunch.

About 11:30 though, my mother called me, so I was rudely awoken by a ringing cell phone. I talked to her for a few minutes about how the drive was and how I was settling in. She seemed pleased that I'd made it out here okay, a fact I'd made her aware of when I arrived yesterday.

"Your father wants to talk to you," she said.

"I really don't feel like speaking to him," I said.

"I know Davina. You need to forgive him."

"Not happening."

"Davina Renee."

"Mom."

"I've forgiven him."

"I'm not doing this."

"I love you Dee."

"I love you too Ma."