Chapter 12

"Hey, we're having a fire tonight. I need you to be there," Paul said as he handed Archer back to me. "I have to tell you the truth about some stuff."

I agreed to attend and he thanked me, kissing my cheek before walking off to talk to Sam.

"Holy shit, you have a kid," Jared said.

"His name's Archer."

"Paul's first choice," he said.

I nodded. We'd talked about it once and Paul wanted to name his son Archer. I loved it and decided on it that way he had something from his father even if I couldn't bring myself to come home.

"We're all happy your back."

"Thanks Jared," I said. He just nodded.

Before long it was time to head to the fire. I went to the car and threw my hoodie on before putting Archer in a carrier. He was pretty close to out anyways.

I rubbed his back as we walked to where the fire was. Paul had taken the diaper bag from me and insisted on carrying it. I didn't mind. It was nice to know Paul wanted to be a part of his life.

When we got to the bonfire, Paul got us seats and tried to get me to eat something. I wasn't hungry but he didn't seem to take no for an answer. He handed me one of Emily's cookies and watched me until I ate it.

"Better?"

"Much."

We sat around as Billy Black and Sue Clearwater told the tribal legends. I'd never felt like more of an outsider.

Shortly after the end of the legends, Paul told me we needed to talk. I followed him a little ways into the wood line. I definitely hadn't missed how much blind trust I had in him.

"I'm a shifter," he said. "I turn into a large wolf. Odds are good Archer will too when he's older."

"What?"

"Just trust me," he said. I nodded and he stripped out of his clothes. He started shaking like he was angry and I took a step back. Within five seconds a huge gray wolf stood where Paul had been moments before.

"Holy shit," I said as he laid down. "Undo that so we can talk."

It took a while longer this time but he changed back to Paul and redressed before taking my hand and leading me back out of the woods.

"What did I just witness?"

"You can't tell anyone Dee. You only get to know because I imprinted on you. That's why the year apart was hell. And why you were drawn back to me."

"You what on me?"

"Imprinted. You're my soulmate Dee."

This was all too much. Then again I sprung a whole human on Paul earlier so this was probably fair.

"Where do we go from here?"

"Wherever you want," Paul said. "I just want you two happy."

I nodded and leaned into him some.

"Awe what a cute family," Liv said.

"When did you get here?"

"I'm dating Jared," she said. That made sense now. I congratulated them both.

"So why don't you move in with me?" Paul asked. "Get married have our little family."

"Let's learn how to be together first. We've been apart for a year. That feels a little pedal to the metal."

"Okay, but I have a house. I want to start working on a nursery for him."

I agreed with that and Paul smiled. When I met Paul a year and a half ago I never imagined this would be where we would end up. But here we are, and I couldn't be happier that I convinced myself to come home to Forks.