Chapter 8

"Dee?" Olivia asked as I ran to my room and packed as much of my stuff as I could.

"I can't stay here," I said.

"Paul?" I nodded and recounted what had happened at Sam's house.

"I'm so sorry Dee," she said.

"I'm gonna stay with Abi for a while," I said. "I just can't be here. He'll come looking for me."

"I understand. Though I'll miss you."

"I'll miss you too Liv. And thank you for everything you've done for me. I wish I could stay."

"Your world was just shattered. Take all the time you need, and when you're ready, I'll be here still."

I thanked her and hugged her. I knew I needed to call Abi and make sure I could extend my stay with her beyond just Christmas and New Year. She was more than thrilled to have me.

Later that day, Olivia and I started the drive to Northern California. Luckily it wasn't too long of a drive. Olivia did most of the driving because she felt I needed to relax.

It was about nine o'clock pm when we arrived in the town. My sister had moved here to get away from the hustle and bustle of Seattle. I'd been here once before to visit her and the town was stuck in the 1980s. It would work though. It's far enough away from Paul but not so far I have to give up Olivia.

My phone rang for about the hundredth time. I glanced down and saw it was Emily. I answered it quickly. I could be pissed at Paul and still love Emily.

"He took off Dee," she said.

"And I'm supposed to care because?"

"He's looking for you," she said. "He's crushed."

"Look Em," I said. "He brought this on."

"I know. I just wanted to explain. Rachel, she isn't good for Paul. She messes with his head. While they were dating she was controlling and had him convinced she was the only one who could ever love him. When Sam found him and the two broke up he got better. Rachel left town and Billy told us she'd never be back. Clearly she came home for Christmas and went right back to Paul."

I sighed. Every fiber of me wanted to forgive him, but I couldn't. I'd been cheated on before and he knew how I would respond.

"I understand Em. I just need space."

"Be safe Dee. We'd all be crushed if something happened to you."

"I will Em."

We said our goodbyes and hung up. It wasn't fifteen minutes later that we reached my sister's house on the south side of the town. There were a few motorcycles parked out front, and my parents had arrived just before us. They were looking at the motorcycles, clearly angry at my sisters choice in company. I ignored them and headed straight for the door.

"Davina," she said, throwing the door open and hugging me.

"Hey Abi."

"Hey sis. The guys were just leaving. This is Jay and Zach. Friends here to check on me."

"She's in good hands," I said.

"We can see that," Zack said in a thick Australian accent. "We're just leavin'." I nodded and moved out of the doorway so they could leave.

"They seem cool."

She nodded and jumped right into host mode, telling us where we'd all be staying and offering us drinks.

"Abi are you sure it's okay I stay?"

"Of course it is." She pulled me into another hug and I thanked her.