TEN

"OH, YEAH. THIS'LL DO," STEVE PRAISED. "GOOD CALL, HENDERSON." Dustin smiled toothlessly at Vivian, and Vivian rubbed his head of curls endearingly. "Nice one." The trio walked aimlessly further into the junkyard until they reached a clearing in the near middle. Steve overturned his bucket of raw meat, where it flopped into a disgusting, mushy pile. Dustin followed. "I said medium well!" a voice shouted, and the three of them looked in the direction it had come from. 

Lucas strode confidently in their direction, a backpack bouncing on his back and a bandana around his forehead. He was walking his bike, the handlebars duct-taped excessively. Vivian noticed, to her delighted surprise, he had a partner in tow. Max stood a few paces behind him, hands shoved into her pockets. Vivian smiled widely at the sight of her and waved. Max reluctantly raised a hand in response, but Vivian saw the ghost of a smile grace her face. Dustin looked lovestruck, and even that was an understatement.

Steve noticed Dustin's dopey expression and gave Vivian a questioning glance. "Who's that?" he asked as the pair got closer. Dustin didn't answer; his eyes were locked on Max, who was shuffling toward them with her arms crossed. Steve stared at him until he looked at Vivian. Max, she mouthed. Steve smirked and snickered, shaking his head and peeling off his kitchen gloves. Without a word, Dustin stumbled forward to greet Lucas and Max, leaving Vivian and Steve behind him. 

"That's Lizard Girl?" Steve asked Vivian, observing their young friend trip over his words and pull Lucas aside. "Don't call her that," Vivian scolded, chuckling. "But yes. That's Max." "Who pissed in her Cheerios? She looks mad," Steve remarked. "She just looks like that," Vivian defended. "They don't call her Madmax for nothing. And I'm sure you'd be pissed if you had to deal with Billy being your stepbrother." Steve grimaced at the thought. 

They stood there awkwardly as the conversation died. "Thanks for coming," Steve mumbled. Vivian rolled her eyes. "Stop thanking me, it's weirding me out how nice you're being." "Seriously," he said. "Plus, I'm glad there's another adult here. I don't want the rumor spreading that I'm hanging out with a bunch of kids at the dump." "Don't wanna ruin your spotless reputation?" Vivian joked as she absently observed Max standing alone, looking uncomfortable. "Far from spotless. But I'm trying to move in the opposite direction." "Where are the boys?" Vivian yelled to Max, who shrugged and pointed to a rusted out car a few yards away. 

"Oh, hell no," Steve muttered. "I didn't throw around raw meat for thirty minutes for Henderson and Sinclair to play patty-cake while we do all the heavy lifting. No dice." Steve marched toward the car, and Vivian didn't really have much of a choice but to go after him. As the two of them approached, Vivian heard snatches of their heated conversation. "No! No one is around. Why do you think I'm with Steve Harrington?" Dustin hissed, to which Steve scoffed softly. His far-from-spotless reputation preceded him, it seemed. "Something's--" "Wrong. I agree," Lucas interrupted. "Which is why we need as much help as we can get." 

Out of the corner of her eye, Vivian noticed Max moving sheets of discarded metal and wood and leaning them up against the side of an old bus. It warmed her heart to see her helping. "She didn't believe me anyway," Lucas groaned. "You probably didn't tell it right," Dustin suggested. "That must be it," Lucas agreed sarcastically. He sighed in concession. "So, we good?" 

Steve picked up a rusted old folding chair leaning against the trunk of the old car and banged it on the trunk, resulting in a metallic clang that made the two boys jump. "Hey, dickheads!" he chided. "How come the only one helping me out is this random girl?" "Uh, that's not a random girl, that's Sweets," Dustin said, confused. "He's talking about Max, you idiot," Lucas spat. "We lose light in forty minutes, let's go," Steve commanded, waving his hand at them. "I said, let's go!" "Alright, asshole! God!" Dustin grumbled in response. Vivian took up the rear, herding them toward the bus.