THIRTEEN

THE NEXT MINUTES WERE A FAST-PACED BLUR. Vivian dug through kitchen drawers, finding three half-used rolls of duct tape; they had to be good for something. Mike and Max were in the kitchen, sitting silently at the table. The rest of everyone was in the Byers' beat-down old shed, putting up cardboard and old drop-cloths on the walls to make it unrecognizable. Will's body still lay motionless in the living room.

The moon shone a silvery film over the dark yard. Vivian tried not to look at the dark lines of trees that bordered them in; she kept thinking she saw things moving there. When she stepped into the small shed, Hopper was screwing in a lightbulb. It made contact, flashing on, blinding them all. "Let there be light," he joked.

Steve and Nancy were on opposite walls, stapling and taping. "I found more duct tape," Vivian said, holding up her find. Nancy pointed to a pile of random things laying in the corner. "It can go there," she said flatly. Every other space on the wall was occupied except for the one next to Nancy. Of course. Vivian sidled up gingerly next to her, a roll of tape in hand. "What can I do?" she asked, causing Nancy to look at her in surprise.

"Um," Nancy started, her eyes darting around. "You can help me hang up this sheet, if you don't mind." Vivian smiled slightly. I don't bite, Wheeler. She took hold of one loose corner of the white cotton sheet, holding it up and pulling it taught. "So, you're really in this, huh?" Nancy asked her softly. Vivian shrugged. "Kinda hard not to be after tonight. I try to keep a clean conscience." She paused, the elephant in the room practically suffocating her. "And Steve asked me to help."

Nancy nodded tartly. "Right. Um," she said. "Well, I'm glad you took him up on it, we need you." Vivian chuckled dryly at the sentiment. Nancy should've just said what she'd really meant: no, I'm not mad at you for showing up with my sort-of-ex boyfriend to a demented home makeover. "Thanks," Vivian said. "And as weird as it sounds, I'm glad I came." Nancy beamed, stapling her corner of the sheet.

"Shit," Nancy cursed. "I'm out of staples." "I saw some in the kitchen," Vivian told her. "I'll be right back." She darted across the yard and back onto the imagined safety of the porch, trying to ignore the prickling feeling on the back of her neck. When she walked through the doorway, she saw Mike at Will's side, crying softly.

"Hey, hey," Vivian said, kneeling down next to him. "Hey, it's okay." Mike laid his head down on Will's shoulder, crying harder. Vivian pulled him closer to her, smoothing a hand over his hair. "I know," she said. Mike turned into her embrace, and his childlike reaction almost brought tears to Vivian's eyes. She kept forgetting that these were children they were dealing with, not adults. Children's lives.

Vivian noticed Mike murmuring something muffled into her shoulder. "What was that?" she asked. "I wish I could've been there," Mike sobbed. "Oh, Mike," Vivian sighed, brushing a strand of wet hair out of his forehead. Vivian wasn't sure where this sudden maternal instinct had come from, but in the absence of any fit mothers, she couldn't help but to feel partly responsible for the younger boys. "Mike, none of this is your fault." "It feels that way," Mike sniffled. "If I had ridden with him that night--" "Then it would've been you." Mike nodded, as if that was a better alternative. "And that wouldn't have been better," Vivian told him. "It just would've been a different kind of shitty."

Mike chuckled, rubbing his eyes on the end of his sleeve. He looked so small. Like he should be tucked into bed. Not crying at his best friend's bedside. Not doing any of this.

Vivian patted his shoulder. "Let's find something to keep you busy. It's not doing you any good to sit and dwell." Mike groaned, rising to stand. "You sound like my mom." "Somebody had to rise to the occasion, Wheeler."

The two of them walked into the kitchen, where Max was sitting on the floor, digging around under the sink. "Here," Vivian said, leaning against the counter. "Help Max." Mike reluctantly sat down on the floor near the sink, pulling out things from the cabinet. Max smiled at him. "I get why El was your mage now." Mike frowned. "What?"