SEVENTEEN

JOHNATHAN AND NANCY WERE DRENCHED IN SWEAT, BUT THE GROUP RAN FORWARD TO MEET THEM WITH OPEN ARMS. "Mike, oh, my God," Nancy whispered, holding her younger brother close. "How's Will?" Vivian asked Johnathan, and he rubbed his eyes, sighing. "Whatever was in him," he said. "It's out now. He's sleeping." "We went to the house," Nancy told them. "And we were freaking out because you guys weren't there." 

"Yeah," Johnathan agreed. "Also, who kicked Billy's ass? He looked awful." Vivian had forgotten they'd essentially abandoned him there. Steve shrugged humbly. "He did more ass-kicking than I did," he admitted. "I feel like shit. But we made it out okay." He looked at Vivian, smiling and putting his arm around her shoulders. Nancy's eyes flicked away. 

"Well, after we got done freaking out, wondering where you guys went," Nancy said. "Johnathan led us here." "I knew you guys weren't capable of sitting and doing nothing," Johnathan teased. "Well, you came at the perfect time," Vivian said. "We've had enough near-death experiences for today. And we're ready to sleep for a week." "How'd you guys get here?" Nancy asked. "Um," Vivian said, and the kids giggled mischievously. "Grand theft auto," Vivian finished. 

"I don't even wanna know," Nancy sighed, smiling slightly. She looked at Vivian earnestly. "Thank you," she said. "For keeping my brother safe. All of the kids, really." Steve stared at the ground. "Both of you," Nancy clarified, making Steve grin. She pulled both of them into a tight hug. Vivian felt an odd sense of pride filling her chest. They really had protected the kids. They'd done their job, and well. And she had never loved Steve more than she did then. Almost dying with someone brought a lot of strong feelings to the forefront.

Nancy motioned for the kids to come toward her. "We're all staying at my house tonight," she told them. "If you guys want to. But I don't think anybody wants to be alone after tonight. Let's get going, I'm exhausted." Lucas and Dustin lunged forward, enveloping Vivian in a bear hug. "Thank you, Sweets," Lucas whispered. "You're the best babysitter ever." Vivian laughed, tears filling her eyes again. "I love you little shitheads," she choked out. "So much." 

They pulled away, lumbering toward the car and sliding into the backseat. Mike was next, embracing her tightly. "I never knew you were such badass," he admitted. "Hey, I'm a lot cooler than you think," she teased, ruffling his hair. "Goodnight, Mike." "See you, Sweets."

And then there was Max. She stood in front of Vivian looking as awkward as ever, hands in her pockets. Vivian held out her hand. "We survived together," she said. "Let's shake on it." Max bit her lip and reached tentatively for Vivian's hand, shaking it loosely. "I'll see you around, Just Max," Vivian told her, smiling. Max nodded, turning to join the boys. "Thank you," she said suddenly. "For what?" Vivian asked. "For noticing me." She walked away before Vivian could respond. 

Johnathan stood there awkwardly as Nancy followed the kids and got into the passenger seat. Steve held out his hand for Johnathan to shake it. Johnathan frowned, obviously not expecting the show of camaraderie. He shook Steve's hand silently, nodded at Vivian, and walked to the car. 

"That was weird," Vivian noted. Steve shrugged. "Yeah," he said. "But I don't want him being all weird around me, it makes me uncomfortable." Then, he started to sway where he stood, holding onto Vivian for balance. "Whoa," he laughed. "I need to get you home," Vivian said. "You probably have like a sick concussion or something. And you have blood, like, all over your face." "Do I least look cool?" he asked as she led him to Billy's car. She scoffed. "You're so vain, Harrington."

꧁♡꧂

Steve's street was dark. Vivian wasn't even sure what time it was, but her internal clock was telling her it was somewhere around midnight. "I'm surprised you still know the way," Steve said. "After all this time." The car ride had been silent, and Vivian hadn't even realized Steve hadn't given her directions. She just knew.