Chapter 1- it seems i've found you

A cloud of vapor huffed into the air from Jimin's snout as he lifted his head from the forest floor that was embedded in thick glistening snow. He let out a grunt as he shook off a fresh layer of snowfall from his body.

His search for prey continued to come up empty.

All of the forest had become a winter wonderland with the way every surface was covered in a blanket of snow or ice with only a tree branch or pine trees' pines sticking out. Jimin's wolf blended into the surroundings perfectly, his fluffy fur a pure white tone. When he looked off at his two pups tussling in the snow, he felt relieved they inherited the same traits, it made their survival a bit easier with their ability to camouflage.

His gaze lingered on them for several moments because he was worried. He came up with no food yesterday or the day before and was growing antsy. However, it seems the pups' moods were being kept in high spirits with the snowfall keeping their best interests. They were still young enough to live off his nursing which meant he didn't have to send them to bed with empty stomachs. But he still needed to replenish his own energy and he could begin to feel the weariness in his steps only grow.

As he watched his pups play and nip at the snow, he felt comfort in knowing they could see the days in their own bliss. He buried his snout in the snow again, desperate to gain scent of the rodent he'd sensed earlier. It seems they burrow deeper than he'd realized and the more he searched, the further away it got.

His ears perked up at the quiet sound of quick feet and he jumped to another spot in the snow where he dug quickly away at the heaps of snow. Surely enough, he could make out a hole in the cold hard dirt so he wasted no time in pressing in his snout and he couldn't help the growl that erupted from his chest when a furry tail brushed against his nose. He growled and barked and tried to dig deeper, but it was already gone.

He returned to the surface with labored breaths and tears threatening at his eyes. How long will he be able to keep this up? He was exhausted and he could see the sky's colors dimming into the grey of the evening. He started to regret traveling so far from his old pack grounds despite the risks, he had no idea these winters could be so wicked.

Jimin stepped back in surprise at the feeling of bustling underneath his underbelly, looking down to find the pups drinking his milk eagerly.

Of course. Of course they'd be hungry after he let them play all day. Jimin couldn't help but wonder if he was doing this all wrong.

He couldn't be mad at them. They're just pups taking their feeding and as a parent he's happy to see them eating well. There was just always the overarching feeling of doom that hung over his head.

They're growing, and if he can barely find food for himself how will he provide for them when they've outgrown his milk? They're growing more active, how will he keep up with them? He's becoming more weary these days, how will he protect them if the moment arises?

He tells himself not to worry too much because he's come so far in the past two years, but he feels like he's becoming less capable these days.

There's no telling what will happen this winter.

Suddenly, an earthy warm scent pulled Jimin straight out of his thoughts. It was faint, but strong, and it had an undertone to it that there was no mistaking.

Another wolf.

And undeniably an alpha's wolf.

Jimin remained still and pushed his senses into overkill. The pups were still calmly feeding so he focused on locating the stranger. The scent only grew stronger and his eyes focused in on the blurry sight of a large black wolf perched atop a ledge of snow. The snowfall and wind made the finer details hard to see, but it was as clear as day, the wolf was watching him.