[ 47 ] father of the year

047. FATHER OF THE YEAR

               ASPEN let out a deep breath as she stood in front of the hospital room door, her hand hovering over the handle, hesitating to open it

ASPEN let out a deep breath as she stood in front of the hospital room door, her hand hovering over the handle, hesitating to open it. She'd been growing more and more nervous from the second she woke up this morning. Stiles had picked her up and dropped her off at the hospital, where he was now waiting for her in the lobby as he talked with Melissa.

Aspen finally swallowed her nerves, and slowly swung the door open, her eyes laying upon the man in the hospital bed, looking well and healthy as he smiled at the sight of his daughter.

"Aspen," he smiled, "I, uh— this is a pleasant surprise,"

"You told Melissa you wanted to see me." Aspen replied with a shy shrug, closing the door behind her.

"I know I did," said Deucalion, his lips forming a line-like smile, "I guess I just— well, I wasn't really expecting you to come."

Aspen just nodded, feeling awkward as she slowly strolled over to a chair on the other side of the hospital room, a few meters away from the bed. She shyly smiled in a friendly manner, before letting out a breath as she sat down, her hands resting in her lap as she mindlessly spun one of the rings around her fingers, looking down at the floor.

"Ace didn't want to come," she spoke up informingly, "I told him I was coming here, asked if he wanted to join me, but he said he wasn't interested in anything you'd have to say..."

"That's fair," Deucalion sighed understandingly, "I understand. I never treated him the way I should've in the six years we spent together. We never spoke to one another like father and son. We were pack members over family..."

Aspen looked up, meeting her father's eyes, feeling incredibly awkward, not knowing what to say or ask. She gulped subtly, her hands fidgeting in her lap.

"So, what did you want to talk to me about?" she finally asked, sighing.

Deucalion paused, feeling a little awkward himself. He'd never had a way with words when it came to being fatherly.

"I know there are so many parts of your life, that have unanswered questions." he said to her. "Now, the hospital has to discharge me tomorrow, and once they do, I'm gonna be out of your hair, I won't be sticking around here for long. But I just figured I could potentially help you fill in the blanks of your life, if you wanted."

Aspen's eyes widened a little, taking in her father's words. She didn't know what she was expecting, but it wasn't that. But he made a good point, Aspen had so many aspects of her life where she just couldn't add things up, where things just wouldn't make sense to her. She had said she wanted to go into the conversation to find answers, now she had the opportunity to get them.

"Okay..." she sighed, running a hand through her hair, "Um, God— where do I start?"

"Anywhere," Deucalion replied, his tone uncharacteristically soft and sensitive.