You're in control

Christmas was nearing. In less than a week the table at Jimin and Namjoon's house would be littered with classic dishes such as bulgogi, sweet potato noodles, kimchi and tteok guk.

Taehyung was put in charge to find the ingredients for Jimin's Christmas cake. The nearby supermarket was small and didn't have all the niche ingredients Jimin needed, and so Taehyung found himself walking fifteen minutes to the big supermarket located in the shopping center.

Although the day had started slow for Taehyung, with him not being able to get out of bed again, he had mustered up the courage to put on clothes that didn't smell and walk out of his bedroom. The days were hard sometimes. He had good ones, and he had bad ones, and it was good that the bad days here weren't as frequent as they were in Seoul.

He felt refreshed now, being able to walk for some time and stroll through the town he had loved so much. When entering the supermarket, he could hear one of his favorite songs blasting through the speakers, and he wished that the rest of today could feel like this.

He turned a corner, a shopping basket in hand, and went to look for baking ingredients. He passed by the fruit section and halted, remembering the strawberries that were on his shopping list, and grabbed some. They'd go on the top of the cake, he knew, and he bought some extra he could eat on the way home.

Turning another corner, he walked into the frozen food section, where he recognized the person grabbing a tub of chocolate ice cream. He halted and inhaled sharply.

His father stood right in front of him.

Taehyung's body reacted violently to the sight, bringing back the trauma of being kicked out of his home, his parents being the most selfish people in the world. Nothing had prepared him for seeing him. His heart started beating faster and for a second he got sick to his stomach. He hadn't ever thought of running into his father here, especially not while knowing that the housekeepers did all the shopping.

And why the hell was his father buying ice cream? He was lactose intolerant and wasn't even allowed to eat food like that. His mother, he remembered, had him on a strict diet.

The omega took a small step backwards, hoping to flee the situation, but was met with a shocking stare that equaled his own.

'Taehyung?'

His father had seen him, probably sensed his scent first if anything, as they were the only people in this section.

'Taehyung, it's been so long.' His father had stepped forward, seeing the look on his son's face grow from surprised to annoyed. 'I know you probably despise me, I know I've been a shit father, but I want to make it up.'

Taehyung crossed his arms, feeling the old pain and disgust bubble up inside him. He remembered how his parents had reacted when he came home with a bleeding mark, given by Sooyun. 'Yeah, right, by buying me off. I remember that.'

The grimace on his father's face surprised him. Taehyung hadn't expected to see real emotions on his father's face. They hadn't ever been there. His father was a businessman who didn't care about his family's actual feelings, much like his mother.

'No, that wasn't what I was trying to do,' his father's voice took on a near begging tone, 'Please, let me buy you coffee. I really want to talk to you.'

A scoff. 'And why do you think you deserve to talk to me? You let me suffer, let mom walk all over me and kick me out of the house, and you did nothing. Why would I want anything to do with you?'

A short silence followed in which Taehyung was seething with anger and his father had his mouth open, seemingly hesitating to say anything until: 'I kicked her out.'