The Preparation

With quick yet quiet and elegant strides, Crusch Karsten walked up to her new office. She gently opened the door and peeped inside. She had no particular reason to do so apart from her amusement. Inside the room, William James Moriarty, newly appointed advisor of the Karsten Manor, could be seen writing away at the blackboard, completely absorbed. Crusch quietly walked inside the room and leaned back on her desk behind William. She wasn't sure whether to be impressed by his dedication or concerned by his ignorance.

With a slight grin
Crusch: You shouldn't push yourself too hard, William.

Jerking his whole body around
William: Wha- I mean-eh... How long were you standing there?

Crusch: Hmm, about half an hour.

William: wait, really?!

Crusch: Only a minute or so. Sorry, couldn't help it.

William sighed while Crusch sat on her chair. She didn't miss the slight smile on his face.

Crusch: Jokes aside, I was being serious about over-working. You gave us quite the fright that day, you know?

William: I apologize then. It is actually quite a bad habit of mine. It has become a way to vent out all the stress that I built up. I actually wake up quite relaxed and refreshed.

Crusch wore a worried expression. What kind of circumstances did he live in?
Crusch: Still, I don't want you collapsing like that. Take a break before you feel that tired.

With a warm smile.                                                                                                                                                     William: Okay, I understand. thanks for your concern.

Crusch: So, What have we got here?

William: I am converting the units of measurement that I know to those used here. It should help me in finding the location of the whale. Wilhelm left to bring the things I needed and some more books on the whale.

Crusch frowned a bit at another piece of info but decided not to pursue it.
Crusch: So you have a method to find its location?

William: A crude one, but it should narrow it down quite a lot.

Crusch: As expected of you, it was the right decision to get your help. Though just knowing where it is won't do. We also have to consider neighboring villages and cities, evacuation, and if possible forcing it towards a favorable position. There is also its cursed ability

William: Its ability?
Crusch: The Mist of Elimination. Though almost everything we know about it are from rumors. People are said to disappear within it not even leaving behind a body. From what Wilhelm showed me it is very much possible that the whale might be using the mist to hide its presence and come out only to hunt. Knowing this, would your method still work?

William thought about it for a bit before answering
Willliam: If my assumptions are right, then I can assure you that I would be able to find the whale for us to defeat. No need to worry.

Crusch: hmm I see.
Crusch breathed a bit of relief as a small smile rose on her face. Finally some good news.

Crusch: I'm glad to hear it. I expect a lot from you, William.

William: I won't fail you.

With that William went back to his blackboard, occasionally referring to some books while Crusch went through her daily paperwork, both enjoying the silence.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As the preparations of the whale were continuing, Crusch had decided to conduct daily meetings, mostly with Ferris, Wilhelm, and William, and occasionally with merchants and retired knights and commanders to discuss the best possible course of action.