Chapter 3

*King*

I woke up from a lovely sleep under the most comfortable and weighted covers. I slid a little deeper into the sheets and it felt like heaven. I heard some quiet talking and eventually sat up, rubbing my eyes. I saw the Devil quietly counting to himself and putting aside bills.

"Good morning, sir." I smiled a bit.

"Morning, King." He looked at me.

I quietly got out of bed and stretched a bit. I looked around the room and assumed I was in his bedroom and office. I checked the time and noted it was a bit late for me.

"Oh my, I have to go home!" I pulled on my shoes and approached the door when Lucifer slipped in front of me.

"What is the rush?" I rolled my eyes as he pretended to not know I had a business to run.

"Well, I have to go home. The boys need to get ready for school and I have to get the bakery ready!" I slid behind the taller man and opened the door. "Don't worry. I promise I'll be back tonight, ok?" I smiled sweetly and he nodded, giving an annoyed huff. As I left to go home I found Wheezy asleep with Cuphead and Mugman next to him. I sighed in relief to see the two safe and sound. I went to the bathroom and showered for the day, getting myself ready. With the bit of makeup I had, I did my eyeliner and some lavender eyeshadow on my eyes. Once dressed in a comfortable lavender sweater and some denim overalls I awoke the boys and got them breakfast.

"Hey, Dice... where were you last night?" Mugman asked me and looked up at me as I handed him his plate.

"Paying of you and your brother's debt, what else would I be doing that late? Ms.Tea will be watching you boys tonight ok? Please don't give her trouble." I pat the little mug who laughed and nodded. Cuphead on the other hand was miserable. He took his plate and seemed still ashamed of all that was going on.

"I'm sorry I bet our souls, Dice." I looked down at him and pat his head.

"Hey, it'll be ok big guy. I know you didn't mean to. I don't mind the extra work anyway." I gently hugged him. 

Eventually, I walked the boys to school, and some women would get mad saying I'm trying to distract or steal their husbands. When in reality I just wanted to send my brothers to school. I sent them off with their teacher, but when I turned to leave, a man with a cup for a head approached me.

"Good morning, Mr.Harper." I sighed as I tried to focus on walking away.

"Mr.Dice! Lovely seeing you here, may I ask if you'd come with me to dinner tonight?" He smiled with a flare that annoyed me.

"Sorry, Mr.Harper,  but I have work tonight." I kept speed walking away.

"Oh, c'mon Dicey. It'd be fun. Just me and you." He went to grab my arm, but I grabbed him by the collar of his shirt and slammed him to a wall.

"What part of no do you not understand? Keep your filthy, disgusting, verminous hands off of me." I threw him aside and stormed home. I got to baking for the day, making as much of everything as I could then putting it in displays. I set aside Wheezy's breakfast and went upstairs to the apartment to Wheezy.  "Wheezy, c'mon old boy you have work soon." I set down the plate and he eventually woke up. Wheezy ate his breakfast as usual and eventually joined me downstairs. 

"Will you be ok tonight, King?" Wheezy helped with setting tables.

"Of course, I have to be if I don't want Lucifer to take my boy's souls..." I sighed as I set out flowers in vases.

"Why do you even have the boys? You were so happy before...." The truth was spoken by Wheezy, and he was right. I loved those boys more than I loved myself, but I never wanted to be their caretaker. I had to put my entire life on hold when our parents died. I  took in those two like they were my entire world, but they became a handful.

"There are no other living relatives besides me to care for the two... so this is my life now." I wasn't happy with this life, but it was the life I was given. This was what the world gave me, and so I rolled with the punches.

"I'm sorry King... I wish I could fix it all..." Wheezy put his hand on my shoulder and I turned, hugging him.

"I miss being in those lame bars with you... I miss having fun till three in the morning... I miss being hungover as all hell and just waking up to laugh with you... I miss being carefree." Wheezy rubbed my back gently as I cried a bit. The boys stressed me out, but none of that was their fault anyway. I had to deal with it all and care for them. They both deserved better and that was up to me and me alone.

The day continued boringly with nothing much happening. Eventually, the boys came and Ms.Tea took care of the dorks. I gave them goodnight hugs and headed off to the Casino with Wheezy. I watched as the country and hillsides faded away into street lights and neon light signs as we got closer to the Devil's Casino. Once there, Wheezy helped me out of the car and I went to my seat next to Lucifer who was missing.

I began spotting any cheaters or liars in the place and pointing them out to the imps when eventually Lucifer joined me.

"Hello sir, how are you?" I smiled at him.

"I'm well, King. Any little shits out there?" He sounded groggy and tired as he drank a shot of whiskey.

"6 so far sir. No worries, just leave it up to me."  I scanned the room finding more idiots trying to keep cards up their sleeves. "Amateurs." I rolled my green eyes.