Chapter 5

*King*

I woke up exhausted from the day prior. My whole body felt like lead as I tried to get up. I still had to get home to Cuphead and Mugman. I noticed my shirt wasn't mine when I saw Luci sleeping on the couch. I flushed red realizing he got me ready for bed last night through my exhausted state. I took the shirt off, found my usual purple sweater, and slipped that on along with my shoes. I went over to Luci and gently shook him awake. He stirred a bit in his sleep trying to rest.

"What?...." He yawned tiredly. "King? What are you doing awake at this hour?" He was still groggy, poor thing.

"Luci, I'll be heading home. I still need to get back home to my brothers." I smiled at him sweetly. He rolled his eyes as I covered him in a blanket. I took a pretty expensive cab home and thought about how nice it would be to live with Dev sometimes. Just... to be free from being a caretaker all the time. To truly, get to live again and no one tells me otherwise. I got home eventually and was greeted by my brothers who were hyper, and Tea who was on the couch passed out. I immediately got to work on breakfast, sending the two boys to get dressed. Soon after they ate as I made lunch and rushed the two out of the door. I held their hands as we crossed streets and I dropped them off with their friends at the front of their school.

"Bye boys!" I waved goodbye to them with a strained smile.

"Bye, Dice." They waved and smiled as they left. Once gone I turned to leave when I bumped into...

"Mr.Harper...." I rolled my eyes at the cup-headed man. 

"Hello, Mr.Dice." The man annoyingly followed me as I left the school to go home for my day off, and to rest up to see Devy tonight. Harper's annoying chatter was very frustrating.

"Alright- Mr.Harper, I am not interested in anything you have to say. Please leave me alone. " I turned to walk away when he grabbed me.

"Oh, c'mon King, you're playing hard to get. Just admit you're into me, I see the way you look at me-"

"It's in disgust. Now let me go." I pulled my arm back, but he continued to tug on my arm insisting I liked him. "For the last time, no!" I pulled my arm back hard and made a misstep and fell backward.

"King!" Harper went to reach out for me as I fell, but everything fell in slow motion. If I fell to hard, my head could crack or worse shatter. I looked over to see a car coming at me. Was this the end? Was this how I went out? Is this how I died?

* * * 

*Devil*

It was noon by now, but my imps were pulling on my hair and sheets. They continued tugging. I tolerated it until they got to my tail.

"For fuck's sake, what!?" I got up and noticed the imps weren't being playful, but panicked. I sighed and heard knocking at the door and went to it as the imps led me. I opened the door. "Wheezy, what do you need?" I groaned as I rubbed my eyes.

The man in front of me seemed more serious than usual. "Sir... King was in an accident." The words didn't register for a moment. I didn't know what to say quite yet. Between my tiredness and confusion, I had no real... things to say. "Sir, he was hit by a car." That was it.

I looked down at him. "What. Happened." Wheezy sat in my office and explained to me the squabble witnesses described to him. He explained to me that a man had been harassing King, and bothering him. As I listened I looked down at the Ace of Hearts in my hand as I flipped it around and twirled it in my hands.

"Wheezy, look for any surviving family of the Cup Family for the two boys. I don't think after this incident, King will be stable to care for them anymore." I looked him in the eyes and he nodded.

"Understood sir." He left the room and my imps were cursing in a demonic language about the events that transpired today. "Don't worry boys. Get him, and bring me his head. Leave no trace of him." They all bolted out the window as I lit my cigar and got ready to visit King in the hospital. From what I knew, he had no family to wake up to. I pulled on my suit jacket, leaving for the hospital where most gasped in fear or fainted at the sight of me. I politely walked to the nurse at the front desk and waved.

"How can I... help you, sir?" The poor thing shook in her scrubs and hid behind her keyboard.

"Apologies for the intrusion, miss, but may I see Mr. King Dice?" The girl nodded and told me his room number. The anger in my veins wasn't visible, but I was upset King had to deal with any of this drama and madness in his life. He'd have a normal life if things hadn't gone so wrong. As I walked in, he was asleep. He still looked like a perfect angel, except his beautiful face had cracks running through the beautiful porcelain. He looked like he could break.

I was hoping to every star in the sky that Wheezy found a lead or connection to anyone alive who can relieve King of this burden. He can't take care of those boys after what happened today. He's a tough, strong man, but he is fragile under all that exterior, just a precious angel. I sat next to him to see his eyes open a bit.

"He ruined me... didn't he?..." King touched his face, feeling the jagged cuts. Tears fell from his green eyes as he touched his face. "He ruined me..."

I held King's hand as he sobbed tirelessly, cussing every star and person for what happened to him... except his brothers. His sobs made his whole body quake in agony as he lay on his side. His eyes were shut tight, too terrified to see himself in the metal bars of the bed.

"He ruined me..." I couldn't say anything to comfort him, just hold his hand and fix everything for this innocent angel.

My angel.