Chapter 8

*Devil*

King was getting himself ready as I sat and spoke with Elder Kettle on the phone about today's meeting. The other day he and I met individually and did DNA tests, and he was a perfect match for the Cup Brothers.

King was in initial disbelief when that happened, but... it was the truth. King had gotten the last of his bandages off today. He was dressed in a warm lavender sweater and some dress pants. King was anxiously pacing my office.

"I really don't know how I feel about all this..." King sighed, clearly anxious about the entire ordeal.

"King... you said it yourself, you're not mentally or emotionally prepared to handle those boys again, let alone take them to their school and hear gossip spread about you." I tried to reassure him that it was ok, that this was the best solution. King sat next to me as we waited for the Cup brothers to visit King.

Wheezy finally came in with the two. Mugman walked in and hugged King, Cuphead joined him.

"Boys! I'm thrilled to see you two..." King smiled sweetly at them as he held them. I watched as Elder Kettle entered. The boys were told of their new living arrangements, causing Cuphead to become defiant.

"What do you mean you're getting rid of us!?" He started getting riled up.

"Cup, it isn't like that! I've had to consider what is best for me, what happened to me was terrifying-" King tried to explain.

"What is best for you!? What about us!? Mugman and I have always been with you!" Cuphead was beginning to be more aggressive.

"Enough." Elder Kettle stepped in, prompting Cuphead to be quiet. "Boys, I know this is . . . unconventional, but you will be cared for. King didn't just drop you with anyone, at the least he went looking for your family." I watched Cuphead stand there seething as King knelt to his level.

"I haven't been in the mental place to take care of you two for a long time... when we lost our parents I had no time to mourn or grow up or even... live my life anymore. That isn't your fault and you two deserve so much better." King's voice calmed Cuphead who just hugged him and cried with Mugman.

It was a hard transition for everyone, but the boys got their things and left to start their new life.

*King Dice + Timeskip*

No one prepares you for the moment you have to choose yourself. No one tells you how freeing and open you feel, but just how devastating and tiring the judgment is. I was packing up the bakery with Wheezy one day, and I truly felt free as I packed up my brother's things. Wheezy left with a truck back to the casino as I took my brother's things with me back to Isle 1. I walked all that way and dealt with...

Every glare.

Every sneer.

Every insult.

I dealt with all of it as the already difficult burden became heavier. I stopped by Elder Kettle's home and dropped off the boxes, then left to go home. I stood in the bakery doorway as Dev drove up and picked me up.

I sat in the car silently next to him. I watched as people gave offensive gestures to me through the glass. I didn't do anything, until Dev hugged me close, my face right in his chest. The tears welled in my eyes immediately due to his kind gesture.

"None of this is your fault, King." He reassured me sweetly, making the floodgates open. Tears streamed down my face as I cried into his chest. "Let it out, King." I kept sobbing into his chest. I was exhausted as a man, as a person, and as a mortal. One can only take so much criticism. One can only handle so much sorrow.

* * *

I spent several days with the disgusted looks coming from people as I dealt at tables. I tried to sound it all out. They were eventually going to the break room to relax. I saw Wheezy and sat with him.

"How are you doing out there, King?" He slid a drink over to me and I took it.

"Horrible... honestly, how do those people know what's so good for my brothers? It's not like they're the ones who stepped up at all! They make me feel like such a... a..." I couldn't quite find the words.

"Monster?" Wheezy chimed in as other staff giggled and laughed. They all began sharing their stories of their monsters.

"I have such a bad gambling addiction King, left my family and lively hood behind just to work here for eternity." He cheered with the Tipsy Troop.

All of them explain leaving kids, loved ones, and friends behind just to drink some of the best alcohol in hell.

Pirouetta described giving up her soul for a loved one who ended up not loving her back- so she killed the bastard.

Everyone in the room shared their demons, each story more sinful and demented than the next... but comforting. I began to laugh along with them.

For once I didn't feel alone in my own confessional of sins. I sat and laughed with Wheezy over some drinks before Dev came in. He dragged me off and I followed behind him. He seemed agitated, but I began to think...

out of everyone here, Dev was a monster to others... but to me, he was a big sweetie. The kindest man I'd ever met was the Devil himself.

The only person to understand me was Lucifer. The only man to adore me the way I needed was him... and at that moment I felt my heart fall down the staircase of love once more. The dreaded tumble down, taking endless hit after hit into realizing I was so hopelessly down bad for him.