Chapter Three - Silver And Braille

"You've made a remarkable adjustment, but you're still going to need some training, as well as equipment," the doctor told me and my mom.

"Training? Equipment?" I echoed.

"First we should probably get you a dog," he said.

"What? Why would I get a dog now, of all times?" I asked. I sensed his annoyance at my lack of understanding. "A seeing-eye dog," he explained.

"Oh," I said, slightly embarrassed.

"We had a new arrival, fresh from training. He should be perfect for you. Please follow me," he instructed. My mom put a hand on my back and guided me out the door and through the hallways until we reached our destination. "This is Silver. She's an Aussie. You can touch her, she's extremely friendly unless someone is going to harm you," he explained.

"Harm me?" I asked.

"You won't be able to see anyone who's a danger to you, so Silver will do it for you."

"Thank you," I said. A wet nose touched my knee and I crouched. Silver licked my hand and I ran my hands over her snout and ears, then started petting her. She sniffed me and pressed against my legs. "Aw," I murmured, "Good girl."

"I have to put her harness on," a new voice said. I jumped.

"Who is that?" I asked.

"I'm Elizabeth Cardozo," the voice said, "But everyone calls me Liz."

"Hi," I replied, "I'm Dianna."

"I know. Everyone's heard how you saved that boy and his little sister." I frowned. "What?" I asked.

"We tried to keep the attention off of us, but the media camped out at our house for a few days before you woke up," Mom admitted.

"Oh." It was all I could think to say.

When we left, Silver came with us. We went to the pet store to get food and other equipment for Silver. A bell rang as we entered the shop. "Hi!" someone said, "Welcome to Pets For Life! How may I help you today?"

"We're looking for food and equipment for my daughter's dog. We're first-time dog owners, so we don't really know what we should get," Mom explained. I smiled.

"I'm Dianna," I introduced myself, "And this is Silver."

"Hi there, Dianna," she exclaimed, "and hello to you too, Silver. Say, you aren't that girl I heard about on the news, are you? The one that saved that boy and his baby sister?" I nodded.

"I would assume so," I responded. I could sense her smile.

"Wow! You're practically famous! In fact, you are famous! The girl who sacrificed her sight to save perfect strangers!" I blushed.

"I didn't sacrifice my sight to save them. I went to get help after I got them out and a car hit me," I explained. I could almost hear her frown.

"That's not what the media's saying," she protested.

"Ahem," Mom coughed, "About the dog food?"

"Right," the girl said, and dropped the subject.

When we got home, I started learning Braille. I was a fast learner, and along with the Braille kit I got from the doctor and mom's help, I quickly learned A to G. 

"That's enough for today," Dad said, coming in. He had been at work when I woke up, but he had rushed home to say hi when Mom called him. 

Unfortunately he had to return, but now he was home and I could smell the heavenly sent of lasagna in the air. 

"Come eat dinner." I grabbed Silver's leash and we made our way downstairs with only a bit of redirecting on Silver's part. I knew my house well, after all. I took a seat at the table and Silver lay at my feet. 

"H- hey," Parker said. I jumped slightly.

"Oh, hey," I said.

"Y- your parents i- invited my... family... for dinner," he explained, "They'll be here in a second. I was already coming to visit you, so I was already in the area."

"Okay," I replied, "So, how are you?"

"Good," he told me, "And you?"

"I'm fine. Have you met Silver yet?"

"Who?" he asked.

"My new seeing-eye dog. I got her today," I informed him happily. I jerked slightly on Silver's leash and she got up.

She led me around the table and Parker asked, "C- can I pet her?"

"Sure. She's really nice." Parker crouched and started rubbing Silver's ears. Then the doorbell rang. "I've got it!" I exclaimed, and started towards the door, Silver quickly catching up and taking the lead. "Good girl," I murmured. I opened the door. "Hi. I'm Dianna," I introduced myself.

"I'm Mrs. Walters and this is my husband Mr. Walters," A woman's voice introduced. I smiled.

"Come in," I said, stepping back to let them in. But something was wrong. Silver was growling softly. "Quiet," I ordered, but Silver wouldn't stop. "Silver, be quiet!" She barked instead. 

Something the doctor had said came back to me. 'You won't be able to see anyone who's a danger to you, so Silver will do it for you.' On instinct, I ducked. I felt the wind from the object the woman had thrown at me as it sailed over my head. 

Suddenly, I knew that this wasn't Parker's mom. But whoever she was, she was dangerous. I somehow knew that she was about to lunge, and I leapt to the side. Sure enough, I sensed her tumble to the ground beside me. 

I jerked my feet away as she reached for them, trying to trip me. I was too caught up in the moment to consider how I knew what she was doing when I was blind. 

I sensed Silver pounce. She raked her claws across the woman's arm then sat on her chest, still snarling. 

"How are you still alive?" Parker demanded, entering the room.

"My head got stuck in a hollow in the wood," the woman replied.

"Who are you?" I demanded.

"She's the driver of the car," Parker explained, "She's the... The kidnapper."

969 words! (Not including this) I'm at home all day, so I have plenty of time to update. Stay tuned!