the fight.

───*.·:·.✧ ✦ ✧.·:·.* ───

i smiled as i finished up dinner. just like the first time, i just couldnt believe it. i was pregant again.

"okay, susannah," i smiled as i set the table, "its time for bed. time for mommy to tell daddy youre gonna have a baby sister or brother!" she clapped excitedly, and i did too.

we brushed her teeth, got her changed, and read her favorite book as dinner stayed heated in the oven.

"ok, you be a good girl and stay in your room tonight, ok? its daddy and mommy's special night." she nodded, letting me kiss her check and tuck her into bed.

"i love you mommy, and whoever is in your tummy." my two year old smiled up at me, "i can love them already, right?"

"of course we can. i do too, my sweet suz."

"good." she nodded satisfyingly, "i looooove them."

i smiled, and stroked her cheek until her eyes closed, and snuck out the door.

i quickly set out the food, hearing conrads door shut as he came home from work. i sat down right as he walked in.

"welcome home, babe!" i said, trying not to sound too excited, but my face fell at the look of conrads. he was upset.

"hey." he muttered, dropping his bag next to the door, and trudging over to the table.

"whats wrong?" i frowned, and he did as well.

"just dad. got into an argument today." he shook his head, "and jeremiah, sticking up for him as always."

"what happened now?" i asked.

he shook his head, "i dont even want to talk about it. its small, but its just annoying how jeremiah is always on his side, ya know?" he shook his head again, and i swear he hadnt even looked at me since he walked in. he put his head in his hands.

"im sure whatever it is, your dad means no harm, and jeremiah just loves his father to a fault sometimes." i leaned forward to grasp his hand, "we know this."

he finally looked up. looked at me. but he was furious.

"so youre sticking up for him too!" he took his hand away from mine.

i was at a loss for words, "no babe. im just trying to-"

"this is ridiculous, its like no one remembers."

"remembers what?" i let my voice show a little bit of my aggravation.

his scoff was loud enough to make me sit back in my chair a little, "do you even know what today is mace?"

i tilted my head, but while saying the date in my head, it hit me.

it was the anniversary of his mothers death. and i had forgotten. and i guessed his brother had, as well.

"im sorry connie," i tried to speak lowly, "we've had a lot going on lately, but-" i forced myself to speak through another scoff, "we all miss her so much. you know that."

"it doesnt feel like it sometimes." he spat, glaring at me.

i crossed my arms, trying not to send the same glare right back, "you have no right to tell me how i feel."

"and you dont have that right either!"

"im not trying to-"

"telling me my dads intentions, sticking up for jere." he stood up, "i feel like you kind of are, macee."

i squeezed my lips tightly together to stop the tears, "you know full well that is not my intention."

"as one who thinks she knows the intentions of others perfectly, youre sure terrible at reading your own." he spat out, and i just stared at the ground.

"mommy," i closed my eyes at the small voice coming from around the corner, "why is daddy so mad?" she walked right up to me, "does he not love the baby like we do?"

i wanted to melt at her words, but instead i just let out a few tears. i wrapped her in a tight hug, picking her up, not even wanting to look at my husband as i spoke the next few words.

but i did.

"im gonna go put our daughter back to bed."

his eyes were small, and his face was solemn.

"wait," he whispered as i turned around, i spun to face him again, "baby?"

i nodded, "i'll be right back."

he slowly sat down as i carried our daughter back to her bed.

"suz, daddy loves the new baby, just like we do. he's just had a hard day, ok?"

"ok." suz nodded, pulling her blanket up to her chin, "thats good."

"yes, it is." i booped her on the nose, kissing her on the check, and turned the lights out. she was already snoring as i shut the door.

i took a deep breath, now having to face my shocked, and definitely heart broken, husband in the dining room.

i turned around, and he was already in the hallway.

"dont say a word." he said as he walked toward me, engulfing me in a hug. one hand on my back, and one on my head, he held me tightly. and rocked back in forth.

"im so sorry." he whispered, "i just flipped out, and i took it out on the wrong person, for sure."

i nodded, and he dug his head into my shoulder. he raised it, so his eyes were inches apart from mine. he let himself smile, "are you really pregnant?"

i smiled too, "i really am."

he closed his eyes, and hugged me again.

"i am so flawed, not only as a father, but as a husband." his voice cracked, "but i cannot wait to go through it all again with you." he paused, "id do it a thousand times."

"im not perfect either." i smiled into his hair, "and we forgive you." i spoke for both of us, and he smiled, rubbing my tummy.

"i like the sound of that." he smiled, and i nodded.