love, y/n - oneshot

request 

word count: 1.3k

summary: even before you started dating max, she noticed how there was always a different romance novel on your nightstand each week. and now that you are in a relationship you are bringing those books to life.

warnings: none, just cheesy fluff.

----------------

Ever since you were a kid romance has always been a fascination of yours. With movies, books, poems, music, anything. The love that someone expresses for another just amazed you. Even if some movies were cheesy or a few books were written poorly the idea of them caring for one another was pure.

When Max moved into Hawkins you were the first one to approach her. The party decided to chicken out while you did all the hard work. You came up to her with a backpack on and The Notebook in hand. You had asked her if she was into arcade games. Confusion crossed her features for the fact it was a rather coincidental question. Not a 'Hi' or 'Hey! How's it going?' She soon put two and two together that the boys that were following her throughout the day were somehow acquainted with you.

You watched the wheels turn in her head as she hesitated to respond. Instead of letting the awkward silence continue you informed Max that your friends were wondering if she was 'Mad Mad.' The person who came out of nowhere and absolutely dominated Dig Dug.

Once the air was cleared you invited her to come with you to hang out at the arcade for a few hours. It didn't have to be with the boys, you informed. They could be very overbearing and have no boundaries at times.

She agreed, deciding to herself that she needed to be familiar with at least someone. The relationship between you blossomed from there.

Hanging out at your house became a weekly occurrence.(You tried her house once but the stare off her step-brother and you had as you made your way to Max's room was not something that she wanted to witness again.) The first few times she was there she saw the mountain if vhs tapes stacked up on a table. You told her each and every name, most of them being corny ones. As well as a bookshelf that was stacked to the brim. Books on top, resting on the floor, and some scattered across your room. Max sneaked a peak at the covers when you went to get something to drink once. At least 75% of them had the couple on the front holding one another close. Causing her to scrunch up her face.

You were cheesy. That's all there was to it. You were a big ball of lovey cheesiness... but Max could live it. After the events with the demo-dog hive mine under the middle of Hawkins, to say the dynamic between you and Max changed. The two of you danced at the Snowball, telling yourselves that the boys were gross. Which Max teased you about for the fact of the amount of fictional men you had in your room. Which brought up the topic about how you weren't really reading for the guys all the time.

Max's eyes widened at your statement, all of the confusing feelings she's been having over the past weeks finally making sense. On your front step after her mom had dropped you off, Max ran to catch you before you entered the door. Grabbing your face gently with her hands and bringing her lips to yours. As she pulled away a shocked smile appeared on your features. She smiled back, placing a light kiss on your cheek before yelling a 'bye!' and making her way back to her mom's car. You still stood stunned while you waved them goodbye as the vehicle pulled out of your driveway. Boy did Max not know what she was getting into.

At first it was little notes. Just a small shred of paper that would fall out her locker now and then with some meaningful words on it. Then came the sticky notes that she would find on random items in her backpack or anywhere really it seemed. How did you do it without her knowing? She had no idea.

On them were little cute 'pick me up' messages, as you liked to called them, or just sweet things. Like you liked her outfit or she looked really pretty that day. She later confronted you, jokingly asking if that meant she didn't look pretty everyday.

She looked forward to them. Even if you did skip some days she knew it must have been a good reason. They helped her gain more confidence in herself and your relationship. Confirming you weren't sick of her and cared just as deeply for her as she did you.

Months flew by as the notes continued. It wasn't until a week into summer that you decided to switch it up again. Max was once again staying the night at yours and while she was doing who knows what, you sneaked the piece of paper into her bag. Knowing she'll find it sooner or later.

Max did indeed stumble across the envelope late the next day. Having packed away all the dirty clothes into a hamper and other essentials in their places. However when going to grab a stray sock at the bottom of her bag she noticed something that she didnt put there herself. Pulling it out, she observed the slightly crumpled paper. She moved to her bed as she saw on the front read 'Max Mayfield' in your hand writing. She smiled lightly as she began to open the envelope, slightly ripping it in the process. Taking the paper in both hands she began reading,

Dear Max,

Hi! If you're reading this that means it didn't get lost wherever I put it, which is good! I'm sorry if you are getting sick of these little notes, but it's just something I've always wanted to do for someone. In books they mention how falling for someone is like feeling a spark or a zing of lightning. That's what you are for me, Max. My lightning, my spark, my person to express everything I have to give. The one I can talk to without feeling ashamed or worried you'll judge me. Even if you tease and pick at time I know that it's just a way to show you care.

As well as the times when we are together. How you are able to open up and be gentle and just to trust me. That means so much. Ever since I was little I've waited for someone to let me do these cheesy little notes to. For someone who was touched by my words and would trust me enough to believe them. Max you are everything I've always wanted and more. You ARE my everything. DON"T LAUGH AT ME FOR THAT OKAY?? Cause it's true! I don't know where I'd be without you (for the fact that you did quite literally save my life I probably wouldn't even be here).

Every day I wake up wondering if you had a good night or if you were even awake yet. Every day when you're not here I wish you were and wish that you're doing well. You're like oxygen to me, Max. Without you I wouldn't be able to do the things I love. And I'm so glad that you're the one who allows me to. Anyways, the point of this was to tell you that I'm happy you allow me to do these types of things for you. And I just care about you a lot. Even love! With all the things we've been through and the time we've spent with each other I can gladly say that I'm in love with you, Max Mayfield. And I'm 100% sure that you love me too so you don't have to say it back till you're ready. I hope you are having a wonderful day, Max. I can't wait till I see you again.

Love, Y/n

Max's face was hurting from the amount of smiling she was doing. A squeal left her as she covered her mouth and fell back onto her bed. Clutching the letter to her chest she peered up at the ceiling. God, she could never let you see her like this... Well maybe you could, I mean if you love her how could you not accept her beat red face with open arms?