don't say stupid things - oneshot

word count: 1k

summary: max is passionate about very few things. but when someone disrespects them she'll let them know they are in the wrong. someone is you. you are someone.

warnings: not rlly proof read thats really it, but if there are any more let me know!!

-----------

This was stupid.

She knew that. You knew that. She knew you knew that but Max is stubborn. So what did you expect? Really, I mean how else would you think she would react besides completely ghosting you?

You should never have called her comics dumb. You know that now. Owning almost a hundred dollars (from almost half the money that you gifted her for presents on holidays) worth of slimy paper.

Sure they were fine, but it felt like an obsession at this point. The shelves upon shelves that filled Max's room and the fact one was always shoved in her backpack was just too much. Sure it was a lot, but you should have never called it dumb. Dumb wasn't the right word. Crazed maybe but you should never have called them dumb.

But also you knew you didn't deserve this much torment. Max gets sensitive sometimes. It just comes in her list of warnings when you get her. Sensitivity is nothing to be ashamed of. Of course, it isn't. However when it's mixed with the amount of stubbornness that girl holds in her body you better be ready for the wrath of Mayfield.

Such as now. You are currently facing the torture of being ignored. It has been a week since you last talked to her and she wasn't letting up. Max has made it very evident she found your opinions invalid and has taken the belief that you were just the most uncultured being to ever walk this earth.

But if "the most uncultured being to ever walk this earth is what she wanted your name to be now, you sure as well were going to change it. Anything for her. I mean duh, she's your girlfriend... You think she's still your girlfriend at least. There hasn't been an official break up so till then she is still the love of your life.

Flashing back to now. The present, where you currently stood in the comic store. Staring blankly at the many racks without a clue of what to do. The chocolates and giant stuff bear that you left on her porch because she refused to open the door even though you clearly saw her walk into her house before you arrived. The only reason you didn't camp out there was that her step-brother threatened to stuff you into the bear if you didn't quote-unquote 'Can it and the hell off of his property.'" Jokes on him. He's not the house owner and Max's mom loved you which means nobody would be stuffing you in a bear either way but he still looked like he was honestly considering it from the look in his eye. So yeah, the gifts were abandoned.

Now, plan B was better but less effective. Following Max around like a lost puppy between periods and begging for forgiveness during school seemed like a reasonable choice. Even if in the end she just acted like you were nonexistent

Plan C of her mom letting you in and you barging into her room didn't work

Plan D was just begging her and practically crying at her feet.

Maybe you did look absolutely stupid and look like such a dumb ass but the quirk of her lip from your whiny pleas showed it was worth it. All those steps lead you to plan E. Where you now were buying the most limited edition comic book in the store. That you could afford of course.

Stepping out of the store without 50 dollars felt like you had sold your soul. It would be worth it in the end though. Right? Anything for Max.

Standing once more on her front steps you didn't know if your judgment was right. Billy had answered the door and you gave him an uneasy smile when he didn't say anything to you and instead just turned around to yell into the house to call Max.

She then met you at the door with an unreadable expression. Her pretty face relaxed but her eyes held all that fire you missed oh so much.

"I never should have said what I did," you blurted out, pulling out the pages from your bag and handing it out to her. "Collecting and reading comics is a passion of yours and I shouldn't have disrespected it." Uneasily Max took the comic from your hands. Her eyes widened as she realized what was in her hold.

"Is this the CGC Wolverine series?" She asked. The first words she said to you that wasn't non-verbal or yelling at you. Rubbing your neck you shrugged.

"If that's what it says." She snapped her eyes back up to you.

"This is like almost 60 bucks," Max stated.

"Well looks like I got a bargain then. The store sold it for 50." Somehow her eyes grew wider.

"What the hell, Y/N. Why would you spend that much? You have just come over and hand me a fricken Wonder Woman and I would've been happy."

"Like I said I shouldn't have said what I did. If comics are what makes you happy, then I'm happy with getting you that." Silence filled the space between you as Max found the words to respond. Her mouth opened and closed like a fish. "Unless if you don't like it. Then I came to return it," you teased. Frantically she shook her head.

"No, no. It's great. Awesome, actually," she laughed breathlessly. Bringing her arms up, she wrapped her arms around your shoulders. Instinctively you followed her actions, leaning into her embrace.

"Sorry again," you hummed.

"I forgive you," she responded, her voice muffled by your shirt. Sighing you rubbed her back gently. You missed her warmth.

"Just don't add that to the dumpster like the bear, alright? That was one thing that was another."

Max physically winced against you.

"How'd you know?" You let out a hearty laugh.

"Steve drove by and pointed it out. Not that it matters to me much anyway. He was the one that bought it and said it would work."