on the sidewalk - oneshot

request

word count: 4k

summary: walking to your spot next to chrissy you overhear a conversation as you pass a table. sparking an interest in you that has been missed.

warning: none, if there are any let me know

-----------------

You entered the cafeteria, scanning across the crowd. The same people sitting in the same spots as usual. The white and green uniforms showed through the crowd like the north star at night. You fidgeted with your fingers, biting your lip nervously taking in the different groups.

Today was full of nerves. The fact the championship basketball game was tonight had your table filled with tension that could be sensed where you remained, across the room. To be honest you really didn't want to go. You were happy for the guys, really. It was great they made it this far. It was just... you didn't really like basketball. It was the main reason why you did cheerleading in the fall during football season. You made the executive decision in August that at the beginning of your freshman school year would be spent on the sidelines of a field for hours rather than spent durring the winter and spring in a small space on the gym bleachers every Friday and any other time needed.

Your attention was broken as someone jumped up onto one of the lunch tables. Shouting across the room. Jason suddenly stood up making your eyes fall to him. He said something you couldn't hear. Your sight fell to your shoes, bringing a hand up to your mouth to nervously bite your nail.

So here you were; thinking of an excuse on how to get out of going to the game tonight. You doubt blaming it on sickness would work as that's what you used last time. Or saying you had to babysit with the fact you know most of the people at that table knew you hated children. With their sticky hands and grubby faces. And you couldn't say that you had plans with a friend for the fact all of them were already booked to go to the game tonight.

Sighing in defeat you dragged your shoes across the floor's tile. The amount of looks you received was enough for you to accept that you would have to face an endless amount of time tonight witnessing boys passing balls back and forth to one another. Looking up you met Chrissy's eyes. A smile finding its way to her face as she raised a hand to usher you over. You gave a meek one in return picking up your pace to take your spot next to her.

"It's not that we want to postpone it. It's just that most of the subs will be at the championship game." You stopped in your place overhearing a conversation as you passed by. Was this... your opportunity. Had grace from whatever gods that existed decided to shine down on you; to support your hatred for basketball. You tapped your foot pondering if you should approach them. I mean you didn't even know what they needed a sub for. A game night? Gambling? Some satin ritual that needed a certain amount of people to be successful with it?... Eh you could deal with worse.

You turned to your left, placing your hands rather roughly on the edge of the table. Making you wince slightly as the group's attention snapped to you. You let out a meek 'sorry.'

"I heard you needed a sub," you stated, looking across the individuals. Taking in their matching Hellfire Club t-shirts. You furrowed your brows, the name seemed familiar. Your eyes widened as you recalled Jason talking about them once. "DnD right?" you questioned.

The guys just kind of stared at you while you stood there awkwardly, waiting for a response.

"Y-yeah," one of them stuttered out. You turned to the voice, gaze falling on his curly hair. Dropping it to your face you met the eyes of Dustin Henderson. Someone who was in your intro to chem, math, and english class. A smile broke out on your face as you rushed to the spot empty next to him. Sitting down at the table you brushed your arm against Dustin's, giving him a light smile.