10

𝗦 𝗢 𝗙 𝗜 𝗔

I can't quite decipher the look in Nico's eyes. He looks a little.. sad. Like he has so many things he wants to say but isn't going to say them.

"You are wanted." He says quietly, his voice deep. "You don't even realise it."

I press my lips together, unsure of the context of what he just said. "I don't believe that."

His eyes hold mine. "You'll believe it when you're ready to believe it."

Just as I'm about to open my mouth to reply to him, I suddenly feel a wave of dizziness hit me. My vision begins to grow blurry and look down at my hands to see them shaking slightly.

Nico straightens up, his brows furrowing in confusion as concern clearly sweeps across his face. "What's wrong?"

I open my mouth, but it barely comes out as a whisper. "S—sugar."

He knits his brows, unsure of what I mean. I manage to raise my hand and point over to the cabinet across the room, gesturing for him to go to it. He doesn't need me to gesture a second time because he's up on his feet in a heartbeat and opening the drawers.

I watch as he takes out a tub of candy and he holds it up, silently asking if this is what I want. I nod my head and he walks back over to me, opening it and allowing me to take some out.

As soon as I chew on the gummy, I start to feel more relaxed, picking up another one and eating it. "Why do you need candy?" He asks.

It takes me a few moments for the candy to kick in, but when it does my hands stop shaking and my vision returns to normal. My eyes flick towards him as I nervously say, "I have diabetes."

He doesn't say anything for a few seconds and I feel my cheeks instantly begin to flush a hot read with embarrassment. I didn't want Nico of all people to see me like that. I don't like it when anyone does.

"Since when?" He eventually says.

"I was diagnosed when I was nineteen." I reply quietly. "I've always had it, but I just didn't know. That's how type one works."

He takes a breath, listening carefully. "So you have to inject?" Nodding my head, I shift nervously in my seat. "Does it hurt?"

I shrug. "Sometimes."

"How do you monitor it?" He quizzes.

I lift up the sleeve of my sweater and show him the small monitor on my arm. He stares at it, appearing curious by the device.

"So what was that, just then?" He asks.

"My levels just dropped. I needed sugar to help raise them again. It's a common thing." I explain. "It happens a lot."

"Are you okay now?" He asks.

I nod my head. "Yeah, I'll check my levels in a few minutes."

A ghost of a smile crosses his lips. "Do you have candy all over the house?"

I chuckle at that. "Pretty much. There's some in almost every room just in case."