Chapter Four: Geology; The Musical

Zhongli was sorting his papers when he saw Xiao walk inside. "Well, how has your day been?"
"Fine," Xiao muttered, taking a seat off to the side.
"That great? You know, your friend Aether stopped in for class earlier today," Zhongli lowered his reading glasses, looking directly at Xiao, "He said something about you and Lumine."
"What did he say?"
"I have a feeling you already know."
Xiao grumbled. He wanted to throw Aether all the way back to last week. Why was he so talkative!? Xiao wasn't mad though. Just... frustrated. If it weren't for anyones meddling, he wouldn't have argued with Lumine in chemistry. "Why did you bring this up?"
"I have my reasons and feelings, and you have yours. If you keep things bottled up, they'll simply turn sour. If you are too upset to discuss this topic, we can discuss your grades."
"I would prefer we begin with the opening lesson."
"Alright then, I wish you luck."
Zhongli continued to file his papers as more students began to file in to the classroom. Nobody Xiao knew of course. Eventually, a girl with silver-blue hair sat down at the desk next to him. This girl was as talkative as Lumine and was greeting everyone she saw. Why waste your energy on other people when you could waste it on yourself? Xiao tried his best to stay still and avoid the girl, but it didn't take long for her to introduce herself. "Greetings! I'm Kamisato Ayaka - and who might you be?"
"None of your concern."
"Oh come on, brighten up a little! I'd like to know all the people sitting next to me in my classes. You're no exception!"
"Fine. If you're so sure of everything, even sharing your personal goals like they're candy, I'm Xiao."
"You must be the Xiao that Lumine has mentioned so often! It's a pleasure to finally meet you."
"I'll say the same."
"...aren't you going to ask about Lumine?"
"I'm sorry, was I supposed to?"
"I would think so, considering everything!~"
"Define everything," Xiao glared. Thankfully he was interrupted by the school bell and Zhongli's voice. "Welcome to geology. I will be your professor for the year. You may call me Mister Zhongli. Now before we begin, I'd just like everyone to say their names and one goal they hope to accomplish this year." All of the students exchanged confused glances. Wasn't this an old thing to do? He could just look at the class list and mark attendance that way. Whatever his reason was, the peers couldn't argue with their teacher. Reluctantly they began to say their name and whatever goal they wanted to accomplish. Some of the responses were... quite interesting.
"To do your mom!"
"I want to make everyone miserable!"
"I'm gonna make sure I share my opinion over others!"
"I'll make sure that people have nightmares of this school!"
After everyone went around, Xiao was last. Everyone was smirking at him and even giggling. He did give off the same vibes as your stereotypical-art-and-music-kid-who's-also-kinda-emo student. What he said as well didn't exactly help his case. "I'm Xiao, and I'd like to strengthen my relationships with people I know." The class nearly burst out laughing, though managed to hold it in. You were either supportive of Xiao and his goal (People such as Ayaka, Gorou, Yun Jin and even Amber) or were already planning to beat him up later on. Thankfully Zhongli managed to step in, father-like energy radiating from him like sparkles on an amethyst. "You may laugh. Go ahead, what's stopping you? Those who mock their students for their goals are bound for failure. While Xiao will be surrounded by people he cares about while the rest of you are on a milk carton. I didn't teach high school so I could babysit children. Improve your attitudes. Now." The room was silent. You could hear as Chonggyun, all the way in the back, dropped his pencil nervously. A minute or so passed and the lesson officially began. Xiao kept feeling glares on his back from the other students. All he did is what Mister Zhongli requested for - and he didn't want to be a dick about it, or even something from r/IamVeryBadass.
The lesson seemed to go on for ages until the bell rang. Everyone scrambled out to go get their lunch, nearly tripping over their chairs. Xiao slipped out thankfully, using his short stature to his advantage. Hopefully he would make it to lunch and back without causing another scene. Again, it was the first day!

As he walked, he barely noticed Lumine, who was silently walking down the hallway. She felt guilty for arguing with Xiao earlier and wanted to apologize. Thankfully, the universe gave her a chance to when she nearly bumped into him. "Oh! Xiao! I didn't see you there, I apologize!"
"You're fine. Don't worry."
"Are you sure?"
"Yes. I said it's fine."
"Well...before you go, I just want to apologize for what happened in chemistry. I shouldn't have argued. I'm sorry."
"No need."
"But-"
"I said, no need. Now please go to the lunchroom. It's important that you get some food."
Lumine smiled brightly before running off. She first wanted to see if Xingqu would actually be giving Chonggyun some more popsicles. Thankfully he was. Good for those two! After that little stop, Lumine made her way to her lunch table - a small table off to the side. Lumine didn't like socializing or even being on display. In fact, she would rather be like Xiao. Silent, introverted, and reserved. Likewise Xiao wanted to be like Lumine. Social, friendly, and cheerful. Maybe even a little cute. What? It wasn't like he had a crush on her. In fact, Xiao didn't even know anything related to love! Haha!

Xiao sat down at Aether's table and began to eat his lunch. Gorou had been talking, likely as to what happened in geology. "People are assholes."
"Those people in geology - they are totally trying to be protagonists! I'll bet you seconds of Thomas cooking that they think they're half-wolf, half-demon and even call themselves alpha males!"
"Gorou, nobody uses the term 'Alpha Male' anymore. Or ever," Xiao muttered, taking a bite of his tofu. After all, he was a picky eater as we all know. "That's the point! I want to be nice and all, but...but why do people make it so difficult?! It's like taking to a brick wall!"
"Well then, don't talk to brick walls!" Hu Tao giggled. Yes, she sat at their table as well.
"You're the only one that would be stupid enough to talk to a brick wall," Xiao gestured to Aether with his fork. "What!? Hey! I'll have you know...uh...um..."
"Let me handle this," Hu Tao interrupted once more, ready for anything, "and YOU'RE the only one stupid enough to be eating only Almond Tofu! Don't you want to grow big and strong?~"
"Shut up."