Chapter Nineteen: Invisibility is the Most Vulnrable

Xiao returned to his own house to be greeted by silence. "Dad? Childe?" He called. No response. As he walked further in, a note was on the table.
Xiao,
    Went to get some of
    Childe's things - be
    back soon.
                - Zhongli
At least it wasn't a car crash that was the reason for their absence. Now that he could sort of start his day, Xiao changed back into comforter clothes before crashing on the couch. He was a sucker for true crime. Zhongli didn't approve of his interest but that didn't stop him from watching shows while he was home alone. As he sat there, Xiao began to draw on his arm - there was a black marker hidden in the couch cushions for situations like these. He drew a bird first (it was his specialty) before blanking out, He hardly noticed when Zhongli and Childe came in through the door carrying some bags. "Xiao!? Xiao? We're home!" Childe called.
"I'm right here."
"Do you want to help us get some of the boxes inside?"
"Do I want to help? No. Do I have a choice? No," He muttered as he stood up and turned the TV off. While he began to assist, Lumine was spending time with nobody other than Ganyu.

"Thank you for having me Lumine. This time of year always gets a little difficult...Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to ruin the joy!" Ganyu apologized. "Don't worry - I get it. Whatever you want to do here, I'm ok with it!"
"You're such a good friend. You know that, right?"
"Some may disagree on that," She chuckled.
"Who!? Nobody in their right mind would see you as a bad person!" Ganyu seemed quite worked up over this situation. Lumine simply smiled and spoke the single word, "Xiao." Silence filled the room as Ganyu looked more confused then anything.
"Xiao? Really? You should hear the way he talks about you."
"...We went on a date today and most of it was just silence and staring at each other. Explain that," Lumine flopped over on her bed like a starfish causing her friend to giggle before reaching out for her phone. "I have one recording of proof - I knew I would need it someday!"
"What?"
"I once accidentally recorded Xiao talking about you while I was practicing scales for band. Yes, I sound like a bad person, but I had a feeling I would need it someday!......And my scales were decent on that recording," Ganyu opened the voice recording app (which as often used by the music department as well) and played it. It started off with scales as she had described, before a knock came at Ganyu's door.
"Ganyu? You're kind of smart...sometimes...Can you explain something for me?"
"Of course! What is it?"
"Why does Lumine smile so much? I mean I-I-I'm not complaining! I'm just curious."
"Maybe she's just happy! You do know what happy is I'm assuming."
"Shut up. She just smiles so often - whenever I look at her, Lumine always has this warm friendly smile. It's like the world doesn't have any problems as long as she's there. She's like a ray of sunshine - beautiful, calming, and always there no matter what the situation is."
"Aww! Does someone have a crush?"
"...Explain."
"You love Lumine and you have since kindergarten. Just get over it and ask her out - she won't say no!"
"Ganyu, you know that I'm not good with relationships. I'm better off backflipping off a hot air balloon than getting her dragged in to whatever my life is."
"Maybe she can help with it! Think of me and Keqing."
"You haven't asked out Keqing yet."
"Well...I'm getting to it! How about you ask out Lumine and I'll ask out Keqing?"
"Lumine can get anyone she wants. Why settle for me?" Xiao chuckled before closing the door. Ganyu muttered a few things before realizing her phone was still recording. She let out a evil giggle before ending the recording.
Lumine, who was now sitting up, was blushing extremely. "Did...he actually say that?"
"You just heard it!"
The smile that Xiao spoke of grew across her face. Lumine could hardly contain her excitement. That was until she thought about his words at the end. "What do you think he means by 'Why settle for me'? He's a good person and someone that I trust and care about!"
"Lumine...I don't want to say it, but you're one of the most popular people at our school. You could ask anyone out and they would likely say yes!"
"Are you saying that Xiao only wanted to go on a date because I'm popular?"
"Not at all! Did you hear what he said?" Ganyu instantly wanted to erase her words. Why did she phrase it like that?! Lumine was now curled up in a little ball, unsure of what was happening. "I...I thought he actually cared about me. I can't believe that I actually loved him..." Silence once again returned alongside soft whimpers. Ganyu was still able to give her help a shot though. "It's ok. I've known Xiao longer than you and he's not the type of guy to do that sort of thing!"
"But he's the type of guy that'll make you feel like dirt."
Ganyu said nothing but simply moved to look Lumine dead in the eyes. "If Xiao ever does that, I'll beat him up. I am the older one and I won't let you get yourself down. Ok?"
"...Fine. You win this time."
"Sweet! Anyway, let's change the subject and hangout...is that alright?" Ganyu asked. The two friends spent the rest of the day together.

Elsewhere, Xiao was finishing the job he was asked to do. "Is that all?"
"Yep, thanks for your help kid!"
"Don't call me 'kid.'"
"Alright. Zhongli, may I talk to Xiao for a moment?"
"Of course. I'll go start dinner then," He nodded before leaving the room. Childe looked at Xiao and sighed - his expression changed to that of a facebook mom. "I know that this time of year gets hard for you, Zhongli and the rest of your family. I'm going to make sure that you are all good and do what I can for you and the rest of your family. Ok?"
"...Childe, you literally were nothing like this yesterday. How much coffee did you have this morning?"
"I REFUSE to fail as a parent so I'm going to be emotional support!"
"...Please don't. There's no reason and no need to. You sound like that self proclaimed 'relationship-guru' that enjoys succulents and wearing cat headbands."
"Ok Mister Oddly specific, I'll let you go now - I can take it from here, alright?"
"Good," Xiao glared as he walked out of the room and down the stairs to sit in the kitchen while Zhongli made dinner. He was watering some of the houseplants when Xiao came downstairs. "Well what did he talk to you about?"
"Childe's trying to be a therapist but in reality he's about as good as his chopstick skills," He grumbled.
"He's right though. Sometimes things can change in a moment. One day you can be as happy as happy can be and the next you're unable to get out of bed."
"If this is about Mom, I-" Xiao started but then stopped after getting a look from his dad that basically told him to change the subject.

The rest of the night was oddly quiet and Xiao went to bed earlier due to school. He didn't want to talk about any of this. First he was being forced to go on dates with Lumine and now Childe was seemingly trying to get him to talk about his mom. Even though that second situation was something that Zhongli and Xiao didn't often speak of. Whatever it was, it carried much anger inside of him as he fell asleep. Maybe that had something to do with his dreams as well.