Chapter Eight: It's Dad to You

The "study" hall seemed to fly by. Xiao had finished his drawing eventually, but Lumine was still reading. Though he got someone else's attention. Miss Lisa, who also worked as the head librarian now and then, had walked over and peered over his shoulder. "Quite the skill you have there," she whispered softly before sliding Xiao a small white rose like those made for corsages, "A little birdie told me that Lumine likes flowers. Good luck!~"

The final bell soon rang and nearly made Lumine fall out of her seat. She put the book back before gathering her things. This was Xiao's chance to give the surprise gift - how Lisa knew that he was in need of something like that was beyond him. He walked over to Lumine and tapped her on the shoulder. "Oh! Xiao! You scared me - is everything alright?"
"Aside from the fact of you being quite skittish, this...ahem...this is for you," he handed the small rose and set it in Lumine's hand gently. Her eyes lit up as she wrapped her arms around Xiao. "Thank you, thank you, thank you!" She smiled.
"...What do I say?"
"You say 'Thank you, I'm glad I could make you...' and you can fill in the blank after that as you see fit."
"Hm...Thank you, I'm glad I could make you...smile - that sounds right."
Lumine smiled and gave Xiao another hug before saying her farewells.

Unlike her, Xiao got a ride home from Zhongli. Even though they lived close by they drove nearly every day. They were going to the same place after all. Xiao looked around for his dads car though couldn't see anything. All of a sudden, a car pulled up in-front of him and rolled down the front window. Zhongli's husband, Childe, was sitting in the drivers seat and had a cheeky grin on his face. "Get in looser, we're going shopping," he laughed.
"Where's my dad?"
"Right here!"
"Where's Zhongli?"
"He had some work to take care of today so I guess I get to drive you home! Now get in already!" Childe laughed. Xiao just got in and looked straight ahead. They had drove for a little while before Childe tried to start a conversation. "You know, Zhongli thought I should come pick you up today instead of one of your friends - especially with me moving in and all!~" He smiled.
"I would rather have walked home by myself."
"Stop being emo for a hot minute! I'm going to take you on a nice little drive!"
"Please don't. I just want to get home," Xiao glared.
"Look who's in the drivers seat buddy - the only way for us to turn around is for you to call me dad!"
"I'm more likely to turn into a unicorn than I am to say that." Childe continued to laugh harder before finally shutting up...for a moment. "Zhongli tells me that there's a girl in your life now. Mind telling me about her?"
"I'd rather call you my dad than that."
"So there IS a girl! How long have you two known each other," He continued, ignoring Xiao's side note.
"...a couple years."
"Ooh, spicy! Now now, is she pretty?"
"I don't like that question."
"Good answer. If your Aunt Arlecchino heard that, she's probably scold me for not having such manners."
"I'll scold you then."
"Well what does she act like? What makes you lOvE hEr?" Childe asked. Boundaries were about as existent as Timmie's dad at this point.
"She's nice."
"...That's it?"
"What more do you want?"
"Details! What do you like about her, specifically?"
"Will it make you shut up?"
"For a short time, yes."
"Fine then. She has a beautiful smile, a gentle laugh, and somehow knows exactly what to say before you can say it yourself. Even when you argue, she never gets mad. Something about her is just...I don't know. Lumine's beautiful on both the inside and out. Aether would kill me if I ever admitted anything, but that doesn't seem to be stopping him. She's...She's...Lumine," As Xiao finished, he had not even noticed where they had been driving. Childe was in the driveway of the house and was listening to every word that he said. Once Xiao had realized the scene around him, he just got out of the car and left. Childe pulled in as Xiao went straight to his room. He shut the door and landed face-first on his bed. The only thing that brought him out was Zhongli knocking at the door. "Xiao? Are you alright?"
"I'm fine," he grumbled.
"If you were, you would have said hello as you walked in. I know your ways of showing emotion. Sit up and scoot over already," Zhongli laughed gently and sat beside Xiao, who was curled up in a little ball at the foot of the bed. "I hope you didn't mind Childe picking you up today. It was his idea, not mine."
"He said that it WAS your idea."
"...It was more of a mutual decision. Don't worry."
Xiao simply rolled over to him and sighed. "Why does he have to be such an ass?"
"You're an ass to, y'know."
"I do...but Childe doesn't know it, and I do."
"...I know it's hard, but just give him a chance. I did as well. Worst case scenario, you both have an argument over which way to put the toilet paper."
"Heh...It's always easier when it's not backwards!" The two laughed and just...sat there for a little while. They sat in silence, just appreciating each-others company. Though it was Zhongli who broke the silence saying, "Childe always talks about how he wants you to like him. He wants to be the 'cool' dad."
"I already have the cool dad," Xiao finally sat up and looked Zhongli in there eyes. He just laughed and pulled him in for a hug - if you could call it that. Zhongli's hugs were always either tight or choking you...sometimes both. It was his signature. They chatted for a little while longer before Childe called them down to come eat - he proudly proclaimed that he had made a frozen pizza without burning anything. The three all enjoyed their meal and Xiao managed to fall asleep. As he did so, he couldn't help but think about what he said about Lumine. He didn't regret a single word. There was one thing he wanted to add though - he loved her.

(Just a little heads up, I'm sorry if chapters are late! I'm working on it as life is getting back to busy. All in all, happy reading!)