Chapter Twenty: a Blast from the Past

While he was asleep, Xiao felt the time go...backwards. Was it his dream? Was he getting abducted by aliens? Was he sleep-falling? Whatever it was, it took him to that fateful day not so long ago. The reason why Childe was acting weird, why he was so cut off (well, one of them), and even the reason why he was scared to get close with Lumine.

It was a cold winter day so it was already hazardous to be outside. Ice decorated the roads as if a cryo user had danced across the road. The day seemed to be fine. Zhongli, Guizhong and the five kids (who often referred to themselves as the "Yakshas" as a playful nickname, wink wink). Little Xiao sat in his car seat, pouting. He loved riding in the car. Watching the world fly by in a mere amount of time was just so cool. Though you after a while, it did get boring. On this particular day, Xiao was getting frustrated. "Are we there yet?"
"Not yet."
"How about now?"
"Nope."
"...Now!?"
"Xiao, we've gone over this. We're going to pick up some boxes for your cousin and then we'll be right over there. How is that?" Guizhong smiled sweetly while he persisted.
"Why why why?!" Xiao wined, "Can we be there now?" Silence filled the car as Bosacius just glanced at his little brother and came up with a solution. "How about we just.. stop him off at Cousin Ganyus house? We can also drop our things off while we're at it!"
"Finally you say something smart," Indarias giggled. After getting faced with a scowl, she looked at Zhongli and Guizhong. "Well, What's the verdict?"
"...Let's make a quick stop at your cousins house, drop Xiao off along with a few bags, then go to get some boxes. Me and your mom will need some help, alright?"
"Yes dad!" The five kids said in unison. With a light chuckle, they continued to drive.

It wasn't long before they pulled in to their cousins driveway. Ganyu was looking through the window, waving excitedly. Zhongli got out of the car, picked up Xiao, and brought him inside. After explaining everything, Xiao sat beside Ganyu as the vehicle pulled away. It felt like such a small thing though time would reveal it to be much more. Hours passed by until the phone rang. Ganyu's mother picked it up, saying everything you would normally say on a phone call. "Hello?...Yes...Oh...Are they alright?...Do you need me to drive down there?......I see...Yes, there is one of the children here with me and my family at the moment...Okay, we'll be there as soon as we can...yes, bye-bye," She set the phone down and went to find Xiao and Ganyu. She was teaching him how to stack blocks in new and odd ways when her mother walked in. "Xiao, Ganyu, can I speak to you for a second?"
"Oke!" They happily skipped over (well Xiao almost fell but that's besides the point. Ganyu's mother took a deep breath and said what every cringeworthy POV says. "...There's been an accident. Now I don't have all the details but we have to get down to the urgent care center. Ganyu, can you stay here with your father?"
"Ok!...wait, why can't I come?"
"The hospital won't allow indirect family members in, meaning only Parents, grandparents, children, et cetera. Does that make sense?"
"Yes mom...Bye Xiao!" Ganyu scooped up her little cousin and placed him in their car. She waved happily as they pulled away and drove off into the distance.

The winter weather surely didn't help the situation. Ganyu's mother was trying her best to go as fast as possible without turning into a cryo slime. It took a while, but they made it. She practically dragged Xiao as she ran inside and to the front desk. "Welcome Ma'am! How may I assist you?"
"I'm here for the family of Zhongli and Guizhong. I called a bit ago saying that I had one of their children with me."
"Ah, of course. As I said over the phone, the family is not in the most stable condition. They are all either under examination or in surgery. I'll be sure to give you as much updates as I can. In the meantime, please take a seat in the lobby right here," The receptionist gestured to a large area full of green chairs for the two of them so sit in. While all this was going on, Xiao could smell hand sanitizer and only hand sanitizer. He didn't know why he was at this weird place but he just dealt with it. "What's going on?" He asked, swinging his legs.
"Your family isn't doing well right now, so we're at the doctors."
"ooh! Are they getting a check up?"
"Not exactly..."
"Hmph! Well, they better be able to get a good sucker after this. Ooh! Do you think I'll be able to get a cool sticker too?"
"We'll see. Just...hang in there." As they sat in the waiting room, a young girl who was seemingly younger than Xiao was curled up in a ball on a nearby bench, sobbing. The girl had blue and black hair that looked as if the seas themselves made the colors. Ganyu's mother simply stook up her nose and looked away. Xiao looked over with curiosity but couldn't get a good look at the girls face. Perhaps they had some connection as they both felt some sense of sadness...whatever it was about.

It seemed like forever when a nurse walked in front of the two of them. "Are you two for the family Guizhong and Zhongli?" They asked.
"I have their youngest with me. He wasn't at the wreck and the receptionist said that I could bring him to see his family. Are they finally in a stable condition?"
"Well...the guardians are. The rest are in intensive care - if you'd like, please follow me down the hall," The nurse then gestured to Xiao saying, "he can say hello while we discuss the situation. Is that alright?"
"It sounds fine. Xiao, let's go," Ganyu's mother walked down the halls and led Xiao to the room where Zhongli and Guizhong lie. He was awake and bruises nearly covered his entire head. You could tell though that his face lit up when little Xiao walked in. "Hi dad! Hi mom!" the child smiled. "Oh, Xiao...what a...lovely...surprise," Guizhongs soft and sweet voice sighed weakly. She could barely move between the pain and the bandages. The young boy simply walked over and peeked over her bedside - just tall enough to see his mother. "How...are you.....dear?"
"A little sleepy from waiting to see you so long! What were you doing?"
"Me and...your father were...just resting," as Guizhong continued to speak, her hands and face grew pale. Her breathing slowed as she gathered what little strength she had left to look at Xiao and Zhongli. "Dear...take care of the children...for...me...okay?" She asked.
"I've already told you not to speak like that. This isn't the end of the world," Zhongli looked over at Guizhong with a look of both fear and determination on his face. "It wasn't...your fault. Things....Like this...happen."
"Guizhong, I-"
"Xiao, look...after your father...for me....he will do the same....ok?"
"Yes mom! So...when are you going to be better?" Just as Xiao finished his sentence Guizhong peacefully closed her eyes for the last time. Her breathing stopped and she became limp. He looked at his mother for a while longer before trying to wake her up. "Mom? Moooom? Mom wake up! Let's go get some suckers from the doctor!" Xiao gently shook her arm but her head slumped over, confirming the worst. Zhongli had a look that was as cold and sorrowful as a thousand-year stone. He didn't say a work as Xiao continued to try to wake her up. "Mom?...Are you there?"
Nothing.

One by one for the rest of the night, the four kids died as well. The last one was Bosacius. Xiao had the time to give him a stuffed monkey before the time came. Xiao and Zhongli spent the night in the hospital - he was in the best condition of them all which likely gave hint to his survival. The days went on and everything changed. Zhongli and Xiao had come to help Ganyu's family move closer to their down but they left with nearly everything gone. As soon as they got home, every single sign of the family had been taken down. It was all put away in the room that had previously belonged to the elder children. That room was only to be opened on the anniversary of the terrible day. As Xiao walked around, the dream part came back into play. One-by-one, his family appeared as ghosts that were mere silhouettes and distinct colored eyes. "You did this!" They all hissed, "It's your fault! It's your fault! It's your-"
Xiao woke up in a cold sweat, gripping his bedsheet. It was his fault. All of this. It was his fault.

(AYEEE sorry for the long delay but I'm back again-ish. Accidentally got Ganyu (at 3 pity) instead of Dori so no Nilou for me!....yay. Also next fanfic is already planned and I'm pretty excited about it lol)