Chapter 1: Marcus

(Feb. 23, 2021, Tuesday, 07:39 AM)

(Meycauayan, Bulacan)

If there's anything that a miserable man could wish for, it's to not wake up anymore and be in eternal sleep.

After all, this reality is bullshit. Monthly bills, family issues, failed relationships, bad decisions—everything in real life is bullshit. No wonder why people tend to escape through several means.

The man changed his mind. He didn't like the world he was living in. If he had a choice to live somewhere else—even between an apocalyptic world or a fantasy world, he'd be glad to choose any.

Anywhere where he could make a name for himself, where his efforts would be rightfully counted on, earning his place in that world.

But what if one of these worlds manifests into reality?

Marcus jolted out of his nap from the jeepney that he was riding home. The bustling noises around brought his consciousness back to where he was sitting. In addition, a commotion has begun several blocks away from them.

"What's that?"

"What?"

"The people seem to be running away from something," the jeepney driver went out of the vehicle along with his conductor. Noticeably, people started running towards the opposite direction.

The driver and conductor went back to the jeepney.

"Give 'em their remaining fares," the driver said. "This traffic might take longer than usual."

Marcus took a glimpse outside. There was a mass of people running, and it seemed that everyone was panicked and scared.

It was as if they were running from something sinister.

Is this what I think it is? Marcus thought.

The driver and the conductor began to return some coins to the passengers. However, Marcus excused himself to get out of the jeepney without getting his.

"Hey, Pogi! Here's yours!"

"Ah, no, thank you, Boss. I know that's a small amount but surely you won't be able to get more passengers within this traffic. Please keep it." Marcus bowed and took off.

Hearing his words made some of the other passengers refuse to accept theirs as well before taking off the jeepney.

The driver scratched his head, a bit touched about the act.

"Ah, that kid..."

"Kuya, are you touched?" The conductor stifled a laugh.

"Stop it, you prick! It's rare for people to be like that nowadays..."

Marcus snickered as he fixed his black face mask and transparent face shield. He still heard the banter between the two. Normally he'd just receive the money back without a word to get it over with. However, he happened to eavesdrop on the conversation between the two before he drifted to a quick nap earlier.