Chapter 3: Marcus

(Feb. 23, 2021, Tuesday, 09:15 AM)

(Malolos, Bulacan)

"Eat some more, Boss Pogi! I'm sure we'll have a long day," Edward poured another spoonful of rice to Marcus's plate.

Marcus just nodded in his direction and ate.

Edward was treating this young man too well. After all, he wouldn't be able to get home safely if Marcus did not pull him out of his jeepney a few hours back.

"Boss! Here's another bowl of Sinigang," Edrick politely laid down the bowl on the table.

Boss... Even Edrick?!

Marcus choked and immediately drank a glass full of water.

On the other hand, June's full attention was on the television. Since he already ate before they went here, his appetite was still full.

News of consecutive attacks were being reported on several news channels.

"Excuse me, can I change the channel?" June politely asked a young woman who was busy sweeping the tiled floors of the eatery. The young woman nodded. She then grabbed the remote and passed it over to June.

"Th-thank you," June replied, a bit embarrassed. The young woman was too beautiful for him to handle.

"I'm done eating. Thank you for the food, Kuya, Ate," Marcus smiled politely and bowed to Laura, Edward's wife. The couple had an eatery and a grilled chicken store set up below their home. When Marcus asked why Edward continues to drive a jeepney for a living, he mentioned that it was for extra income since a baby is indeed coming.

"It's been a while since someone called me 'Ate' other than Lilia, Layla and Edrick!" Laura smiled, gently caressing her tummy. "People tend to call me Manang Laura, nowadays."

"Ah, you look too young to be called Manang, Ate!" Marcus replied, grinning.

"Hahaha! Honey, this young man is such a hustler! He flatters me too much!"

"Honey, you really are beautiful and young!" Edward approached his wife and did a backhug, holding her hands and her tummy as well.

Marcus stared at the couple.

They're really happy and perfect for each other...

Marcus stood up and began to clean up the dishes on the table, but his hands were slapped by Edrick.

"Nah ah! Just relax, Bossing. I'll take care of that." Edrick shooed him away.

"Then, I'll just go outside for some air," Marcus smiled at the couple and walked outside.

The morning air was beginning to be hot and humid. While the roads around the City Hall were starting to be busy, there were a few cars and a few people around this specific street since Tuesday was a relatively normal/regular day. Even in the Maralco branch nearby, the people's activity was almost nonexistent.

A lot has changed since the pandemic started...