Chapter 2: Jayden

(Feb. 23, 2021, Tuesday, 07:54 AM)

(Antipolo, Rizal)

A phone was ringing for a few minutes now. Someone was obviously calling, yet the phone's owner was snoring loudly, unaware of the phone call. However, as an introvert, the phone's owner is not looking forward to answering the phone call even if he's awake.

Until then, the owner's brother passed by his room, hearing the loud ringtone. He sighed and decided to wake his older brother up.

"Hey, Kuya. Someone's calling!"

"Urhhhh....."

"Marcus? Isn't he the guy you call 'Dude'?"

Jayden immediately opened his eyes and grabbed the phone from his brother. His best friend wouldn't call if it wasn't urgent, as he knew that he preferred chatting than calling.

"Dude!" Marcus's voice echoed in Jayden's ears.

"Ugh, dude. Morning. What's up?"

"It's happening."

Jayden's eyebrows crossed. "What—"

Upon sudden realization, Jayden quickly checked his phone's calendar and switched the call to loudspeaker mode.

It's February 23.

Jayden began to recite a passage from a series of emails he and Marcus mysteriously received a few years back.

"On the 23rd day, signs of the Apocalypse will appear."

"Dude, remember the passage where it says to stay around fortified cities?" Marcus asked.

"Uh... wait," Jayden checked his phone. He'd been keeping these messages and tried to decipher them for years now. It began to bug his thoughts even more last year.

But to think that it would really begin...

"Here: As a response, the governments of the countries will focus their efforts to fortify strongholds with official, national insignias."

"Thanks. It's really how I understood it..."

"Yes, it goes in its literal sense. Where's the main point of the government in Bulacan, anyway?"

"Malolos. The City Hall exists there. I'm on my way to it now."

"Thank goodness! How about your family, dude?"

"Uh, I wasn't able to tell you but Kesha already took them to Taiwan."

"She petitioned them? Since when?"

"Just last week. I've been living by myself since."

"Oh. Good riddance!" Jayden laughed.

"Jerk!"

"What? We both know you can go all out if you're not thinking about your family."

Jayden could hear some people talking in the background.

"Dude, you got people with you?" Jayden asked while tying his long, wavy, red hair. He tried to check where his eyeglasses were as well, but couldn't find it near him.