Chapter 5: Marcus

(Feb. 23, 2021, Tuesday, 10:05 AM)

(Malolos, Bulacan)

"Fuck. Fuck this."

Marcus punched the wall in frustration.

Jayden already told him to move further away from Malolos City Hall, but he insisted on staying.

And they were almost bitten by the infected horde in the process.

"Come on! We have to keep moving!" Edrick cried, grabbing Marcus by the sleeve.

They ran through the city, hurrying as fast as their legs could carry them.

Luckily enough, Edward and his family stayed inside the van, so when the Runners came attacking, Marcus ordered the old man to drive away from Malolos. But that left Marcus and Edrick inside the city hall, which was now being decimated by the infected horde.

The city hall's military defenses were close to collapsing, and the few remaining civilian survivors that didn't succumb to the infected were herded together inside the building, waiting for the Malolos City Mayor's announcement.

But, unknown to them, the Malolos City Mayor was no more.

He was among the first casualties of the Runners who went past the military defense.

His body became a feast for the Walkers which caught up to the Runners. His terrifying wails of pain could not be heard, as it succumbed to the hungry growls of the infected ones.

Unbeknownst to everyone inside the building, the military saw what happened to the Mayor.

And so, it was when the military commander in charge gave the order to evacuate the building.

Marcus and Edrick could hear the screams of the remaining civilians inside the city hall, but they could not help anyone but themselves. Unlike the military, Edrick and Marcus had no firearms. They only had a metal pole each, serving as their makeshift weapon.

*****

Marcus and Edrick managed to move away from the city hall at a considerable distance. It was fortunate that Edrick knew the ins and outs of the city streets, he knew some places that had fewer people.

But the main streets were still full of infected, and it was becoming clear that the military had abandoned the city hall. It seemed that they were no longer trying to contain the outbreak inside the city.

"We should keep moving," Marcus muttered between breaths. "The government might bomb Malolos at this rate."

After a while, they kept going.

They moved through the outlying neighborhoods of the city, a long way from the city proper. Again, Edrick's knowledge was proven to be useful.