Nathan

10th February

Gabrielle kicks me out of her bedroom before the sun comes up. She doesn't want Lydia to find me in here and I understand that. I figure I might as well get a start on the morning and have a shower, smiling like a smug bastard the entire time.

Downstairs, I get started on breakfast. Dallas has loved French toast, bacon, berries and bananas since she was a kid. I know we're going to Disneyland this morning, it's just under an hour from here and Lydia has no idea we're going.

Dallas said she's not in the mood for a big event, she just wants to have some carefree fun with all of us. She's never been one for glitz and glam, parties or being the centre of attention.

I'm setting the table while the sun starts to come up. Soft bare feet pad along the hardwood floor and I look over at the dining room entrance to see Gabrielle in a big t-shirt, her arms cradling a couple of wrapped gifts.

"Morning," I smile at her, taking in her mess of curls and her long bare legs.

"Hi," she tucks her hair behind her ear, biting her lip as she places down the gifts on the edge of the table. Fuck, she's beautiful.

Memories of last night hit me in full force as I circle the table and stand in front of her.

"You made breakfast," she says.

"I did."

"It smells good."

I grin, slide a hand across her waist and pull her in. "You smell better."

She melts into me, holding my shoulders as I give her a soft, gentle kiss. It doesn't take long before it deepens and our tongues meet.

Too soon, footsteps are thudding down the staircase and we break apart. Lydia appears a moment later, breaking straight into a lap around the table.

"It smells so good," she shouts, running fast. "It smells so good. It smells so good."

Gabrielle watches her daughter, grinning from ear to ear. I love how much she adores Lydia's energy, how it's never too big, never too loud. Lydia is so much like Gabrielle used to be, I wonder if she knows that?

And then I wonder how it's going to impact her, Gabrielle and I being. . . together. Will she be upset, see me as a threat to her father returning, look at me like I'm not the friend she thought I was? I'm as scared of losing her friendship and hurting her as I am of losing Gabrielle. I'm not sure when it happened but both of them became an integral part of my life. It would be too quiet without them.

Lydia stops in front of me and tips her head back, staring up. "It's aunt Dallas' birthday today."

"Sure is, kid. What did you get her?"

"I made her a neckdlace and it has my name on it because she loves me so she should have my name on her heart. That's what mommy said."

I chuckle, knowing Dallas will appreciate the sentimental value.

Gabrielle goes upstairs with Lydia to get her dressed while I finish up breakfast and the table settings. It's Dallas who wanders in a few minutes later, still in her sleep shorts and tank top.

"All of this for me," she clutches her heart.

"Happy birthday," I open my arms for a too tight hug, which she complains about when I let her go. "Twenty three, damn. Feels like we just celebrated your tenth. Goes so fast."

She rubs her face and goes into the kitchen, flicking on the espresso machine. She doesn't drink coffee, but she knows Gabrielle does. "The tenth birthday. One for the ages."