9 - 𝘐𝘯 𝘞𝘢𝘺𝘴 𝘐 𝘊𝘰𝘶𝘭𝘥𝘯'𝘵

THE DRAFT WAS commencing and Y/N surely expected Donovan to be selected. He was at his mom's new house that he bought them a couple of weeks ago and together they watched the event. Dua was not there as she was currently on her tour in London.

Kobe stopped by though. He sat with Y/N on the sofa as the programming went on. His grandparents were on the other sofa and Y/M/N had just come in with some water.

"Where do they have Don going?" Kobe asked as he ate some trail mix.

"CBS has him going 12 to the Pistons. SI...16 to the Bulls. NBA.com says 11 to the Hornets." Y/N replied.

He nodded. "You think LA will shock the world and take him at 2?"

"Hell nah. The talk throughout the locker room the last few months of the season was all about Ball coming. And the whole fanbase is expecting it."

"That kid looks all alright. His dad though..."

Y/N chuckled. He was talking about Lavar Ball, who had become notorious with the media and for the outlandish things he'd say.

"Hey, maybe Ball will be as good as Curry his first year." Y/N said jokingly.

Kobe scoffed. "I wasn't even as good as that. And Lavar better not put my name in his mouth or we'll have a problem."

The draft coverage continued and they began the selections. Washington guard, Markelle Fultz, went first to the 76ers. Sometime later, the Lakers presented their selection...

"With the second pick on the 2017 NBA Draft, the Los Angeles Lakers select...Lonzo Ball from UCLA!"

Y/N could hear the loud cheers through the broadcast. Every Lakers fan in attendance was jubilant and he assumed everybody watching was as well. The selection was a no-brainer at the time.

"Well..." Y/N pulled out his phone. "Gotta tweet something about this."

Kobe chuckled. "Crazy. Back in my day we'd just let things happen and keep it to ourselves. Now you kids have phones and have to say something or else it'd look off."

"You get it." Y/N replied with eyes still glued to his phone.

They kept watching the coverage. Teams selected their players and it reached the Charlotte Hornets at 11. They didn't select Mitchell and instead took Malik Monk from Kentucky.

It was the Detroit Pistons' turn. They ended up taking Luke Kennard from Duke University.

"Shit..." Y/N breathed out.

His grandmother heard him. "Cuida tu lenguaje, niño! (Watch your language, boy!)"

Y/N raised his hands and acted like he did nothing wrong.

Kobe pointed at the television. "Lucky number 13 is next. He'll be picked. I can feel it in my bones."

"Just because you were picked at 13 fifty years ago doesn't make it your lucky number." Y/N said.

"Ouch." Kobe said at the young man's attempt at an old man joke.

"Relax." Y/M/N told her son. "You were born the year he was drafted so that'd make you fifty."

"I know, Ma. It was an exaggeration. I was just calling him old."

The 13th pick belonged to the Denver Nuggets. The commissioner came on stage and announced the pick at the podium.

"With the thirteenth pick in the 2017 NBA Draft, the Denver Nuggets select...Donovan Mitchell from the University of Louisville!"