Chapter 2: Harsh & Familiar Whispers.

Macaque groaned into his pillow, his ears had already picked up on the steps of a bubbly Chang'e on her way to wake him up- like she did every day er night, time was confusing up on the moon but back to the topic at hand, he disliked waking up to her joyful yell-

"Wakey wakey Macaque!"

Chang'e slammed the door open, and instantly Macaque felt his body jolt in surprise, his eyes widening for a moment before he decided to glare and pout at the wall, his tail puffed and thumping underneath the blanket.

"Time to get to work my bright star." the goddess hummed, moving swiftly around the room to pick up any trash the six-eared had added to his collection. Macaque huffed at the nickname and sat up, blanket still hugging him tight.

"That nickname is so unnecessary and you know it-" he started- instantly getting hushed when she threw a pillow at him that he had kicked off during his peaceful sleep. "ouch-"

Chang'e sighed- placing her hands on her hips before she started to remind him of his job as not only a star- but a protector. "We have to check up on the little ball of sunshine Mac!" she turned away, facing the doorway to stare down the long hallway- hoping to look mysterious.

Macaque thought it was a bit ridiculous though, until he heard the next thing that came out of her mouth. "I don't know what it is, but I have a feeling something somewhat terrible might happen-" his ears perked at that, and seconds later he tore away from his blanket to hop out of bed.

"Give me a second." he mumbled. Chang'e nodded and bolted down the hall, heading outside- was Macaques guess.

A knowing look began to creep up on Macaques face now that he was alone. If trouble was in fact coming then Wukong and their daughter would definitely be the targets, the King had too many enemies for it to not be him. Irritated, his tail lashed out from behind him at the thought of someone hurting the two.

.

.

.

Wukong was a sound sleeper, but if Shu or MK ever called for him- he'd wake up in an instant, which was what happened.

He had been dreaming of fighting in an epic battle by his students side when he woke up to a sad cooing sound. The first thing he did was blink and adjust his eyes to the darkness of his room, then he glanced down at his chest to check if his daughter was still clinging to him sound asleep.

She wasn't. "Shu?.." he quietly called. When he didn't get a response, he sat up and looked in each corner until he found her nearly on the verge of crying, covering her ears and practically huddled into a ball.

His heart had been racing when he got out of bed and approached her, claiming the spot just in front of her while letting his tail wiggle like a snake so he could catch her attention. "What's the matter starshine?" he cooed.

The little ball of fuzz sniffled and lifted her head, her owlish eyes blinking away the fat tears as she noticed the King suddenly there. "baba.." she croaked. Before Wukong could even respond- she was already jumping into his arms, clinging to his body like something would tear her away.

"Woah starshine-" He leaned back at the impact, arms instinctively wrapping around her to keep her safe from the imaginative danger. "You okay?"

Shu nuzzled against him before letting her cheek rest against him finally, another sniffle escaping her. "No.." she huffed.

Wukong hummed and acknowledged her truth, removing one arm from around her so he could comb through her bed hair, rocking side to side for a little while until he felt she was calm enough to start talking again. "What's wrong then, did you have a nightmare?"