Rabbit's Foot ~ Solomon

MC raced around the corner, summoned by the sound of breaking ceramics. There Solomon stood, sheepishly rubbing his neck, among three or four shattered plates. The cupboard doors were wide open. Simeon was not far behind them, the pair stopping in the doorway. 

  "What happened?" They asked in sync, one clearly more concerned than the other. Mild disappointment laced Simeon's words. 

  "I opened the door and they just kinda fell?" He chuckled. Simeon sighed and paced out of the room. He returned moments later with a pair of brooms and a dustpan, passing them around the room. The group got to work sweeping up the pieces. 

  "I'm supposed to be the clumsy one." MC joked, dumping white shards in the trashcan. 

  The two laughed in response. Solomon seemed to pick up MC's bad luck over the year. If he walked home alone, he would get caught in the rain or lose something from his bag. Little inconvenient things seemed to happen whenever he was alone. 

  "Maybe I'm cursed." He chuckled. 

 "My bet is your cooking caused it." Simeon chipped in. The room erupted into laughter, Solomon trying to pout behind his smile. The three wrapped up cleaning, Simeon returning to his room. Solomon reached back into the cupboard, pulling down a pair of plates. 

  "You want to stay? I was gonna make lunch." He turned to MC. 

  "Well, someone has to supervise you. I might as well." They teased. 

  He spoke through pursed lips. "I'm not that bad."

 "I don't feel like taking chances." MC laughed and pecked his cheek. 

  Solomon was actually a pretty good cook when he followed the recipe. MC occasionally grabbed mandrake roots and spell books away from him before the meal ended up cursed, but other than that, he was doing well. The two sat down across from each other, deep in conversation. 

  "I can't tell you how many demons are annoyed with me because I never have a pencil. I could only borrow them for the first couple weeks until they started going missing before I could give them back." He whined. Solomon had been recounting his misfortune in the past few months. He had built quite the untrustworthy reputation and now he couldn't get anyone to lend him a hand. "Must have been some hell of a mix-up if I gave myself bad luck. I can't think of when I would have."

  "It is strange. It only ever seems to happen when you're alone too." MC muttered. 

  "No, not always. I've have trouble in class all the time and there's that time when I tripped over a bunch of paint cans visiting Simeon in the theater. I think he's still upset about those pants..." He trailed off. His fork picked idly at his dish, his cheek supported by his hand.

  "Oh weird. Nothing like that ever happens when I'm there..." MC was puzzled. Was he unlucky all the time, then? Maybe they just never noticed anything. 

  He raised his eyes to look at them, surprise dotted on his features. "It doesn't, does it? I can't believe I never noticed." He paused, recounting any recent occurrences. "Maybe I'm too captivated by you to notice." He flirted. 

  MC chuckled. "Would have figured it'd be the other way around."

  "Oh yeah, I guess that's true." He laughed. "Maybe you're my fortune. My lucky rabbit's foot."

  "Maybe." They giggled. 

  Solomon continued to struggle through the week, losing pens, tripping in halls, ruining his uniform in the rain. MC spent nearly every night sitting with him, watching him read book after book, trying to reverse whatever he did. They started to carry an extra pencil case for him, buying a new ten pack every morning. They reminded him to tie his shoes and carry an umbrella, anything they could think of. MC even carried a second notebook for notes from Solomon's classes, because he always read or slept through them.

  The stress of the situation was starting to show in his face. His eyes were dimmer, his hair even lost a bit of its sheen. He would only sleep when he collapsed, only ate when the growling of his stomach broke his focus. MC's concern grew rapidly. They found themselves also looking through spell books and staying up late to read them. 

  The book was heavy and pristine. A pale blue ribbon sat between the pages, hanging over the edge of the cover. MC carefully opened to the bookmarked page. Diligence ~ Increased focus and resilience. Small gold lettering danced across the bottom of the page. Usage of spell results in a period of misfortune lasting twice the length of the original spell. 

  "Hey, Solomon, when was the last time you used this book?" 

  He shoved at the white hair in his eyes, leaning over to look at the pages. "About three months ago, I think? I used that spell to study for midterms."

  "Did you read this?" MC pressed their nail onto the page, just below the lettering. 

  He squinted, barely able to read the words. "I didn't know there was writing there. What's it say?" 

  MC repeated the condition to him, realization appearing in his eyes. "I see... It's been two months since I ended that spell... That means it end at any time, right?" His tired eyes met theirs. 

  "I think so, yeah. But how do we tell if it's over?"

"I guess when I don't have to ask for a new pencil?" The two laughed. "But really, thank you so much, MC. I don't know if I would have made it through this week without you." He muttered leaning even closer to MC, planting a grateful kiss on their cheek. His hand rested gently atop theirs. "You really are my lucky rabbit's foot."