Chapter 1: The Prophecy

A shadow puppet show began to tell the legend of how the antagonist came to be. Two peacocks overlooked a tall, majestic tower.

"Long ago, in ancient China, the peacocks ruled over Gongmen City." Soothsayer narrated. "They brought great joy and prosperity to the city, for they had invented fireworks."

Puppet citizens gathered in the streets as colorful fireworks exploded over the city. The scene then changed to a room in the palace: a young white peacock experimented with the gunpowder. A small explosion from the bowl surprised him, and then he smiled darkly. His mother and father witnessed this outside his room, and looked at each other with concern.

"But their son, Lord Shen, saw darker power in the fireworks." Soothsayer narrated. "What had brought color and joy could also bring darkness and destruction."

The scene switched to the throne room: Shen's parents watched as the court soothsayer put two items into a small bowl and an apparition emerged. In the apparition, a white peacock is consumed by a yin yang symbol.

"Shen's troubled parents consulted a soothsayer." Soothsayer narrated. "She foretold that if Shen continued down this dark path, he would be defeated by a warrior of black and white."

Shen watched the scene from behind a pillar. He scowled and exited the palace with a small army of wolves.

"The young lord set out to change his fate, but what he did next... only sealed it." Soothsayer narrated.

A moment later, the residents of a small panda village watched in horror as Shen sent his wolves at them.

Back at the palace, Shen bursted in on his parents, triumphant. His expression changed when he saw the looks on their faces.

"Shen returned to his parents full of pride, but in their faces, he only saw horror." Soothsayer narrated.

Outside the palace gates, Shen and his parents stood on opposite sides. Shen's father signified that Shen was banished.

"He was banished from the city forever." Soothsayer narrated.

Shen furiously said words back before he departed with his wolves. Shen's parents' shoulders slumped as they watched their son leave.

"But Shen swore revenge: Someday, he would return, and all of China would bow at his feet." Soothsayer narrated.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Years later, Shen's lair was at a foundry in the mountains. A pack of wolves were seen heaving, pounding, and burning metal. One of the wolves, a large soldier with one eye, jumped over to Shen and bowed.

"It's almost done, Lord Shen, but we've run out of metal." Boss Wolf informed

"Search the farthest villages." Shen ordered. "Find more metal! China will be mine."

The Panda and the Turtle (Book 2)